PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuels Differences

Birdman
02-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I have been searching and searching for information on the different diesel fuels but found nothing. Can someone tell me the difference between the different diesel fuels such as diesel fuel #1, #2 and red? Or where I might find the answer?

thank you in advance,

Birdman

folivier
02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
#2 is your standard all season diesel fuel.
#1 is a winter fuel designed not to gel up in really cold temps. Closer to kerosene. Shouldn't see this unless the grass turns white.
Red is untaxed diesel, mostly for farm or off-road use. The red dye that is added will leave a stain on your injectors and probably other areas. Don't get caught with red stains in your coach! Pretty hefty fine.

NewellCrazy
02-02-2013, 08:02 PM
#2 is "regular" diesel and is ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel)

#1 is lighter viscosity and is used in winter in cold areas. In southern CA, you are unlikely to either need or find it.

Red is for OFF road use only and if found in a diesel tank on a OTR vehicle, the fine is astronomical, normally start in the $1000 range.

Will Procter
02-02-2013, 09:35 PM
I noticed when passing through Montana that they have #2 , #1 and a 50/50 blend or all available. Not all stations carry it but the bigger ones do.

Archie T. Hogan
02-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I ran across this information and figured it fit this post.

Archie

Cetane levels by fuel company.

Please bear in mind that the current minimum from refiners in North America is 40. Depending on the quality of the oil used as well as refining processes you'll find 40-42 from refiners in the US and Canada. Anything above that has to do with specific companies additive packages. When companies give a minimum value then it will be listed as a single number. When a company gives a range of numbers bear in mind that more often than not you'll probably find the lower number rather than the higher number. If 40 is listed then it generally means that fuel is bought as is from the refiner-

-if someone messes up and doesn't put in enough additive at the refinery then that can cause major problems for your fuel system. It's recommended therefore that if you get the inexpensive fuel with low cetane you use a cetane booster (PowerService, Redline 85+ or Stanadyne are all great choices), or run a little biodiesel in the tank. If something higher than 42 is listed then the retailer adds their own additive package in addition to the standard refinery additive package. Generally speaking as long as 49 or higher is listed you do not need to worry about adding any additives yourself.

BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Chevron, 49;
PetroCanada, 47-51
Marathon, 45-47
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Flying J, 40

Truck stops appear to be at the low end.

Newell Attack
02-03-2013, 11:28 PM
The only diesel fuel sold at fly J, etc etc is #2. Red is more for farm equipment and better not get caught using it on a motor home. Number one is very rare almost like kerosene hard to get.

farmell
02-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Now days they can use a scanning device that can detect for red fuel. Inspectors love to show up at livestock auctions.