PDA

View Full Version : Information on Free HD for life in your RV or Motorcoach?

Gax
02-06-2013, 03:42 AM
While speaking with a nice couple at an RV dealership yesterday, the topic of TV service came up and they had mentioned they were looking into a lifetime HD subscription from what I believe is Dish Network? Anyone familiar with this program or is there some kind of catch to this?

I hope I'm not asking something that has been addressed a bunch around here already.

express1
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
While speaking with a nice couple at an RV dealership yesterday, the topic of TV service came up and they had mentioned they were looking into a lifetime HD subscription from what I believe is Dish Network? Anyone familiar with this program or is there some kind of catch to this?

I hope I'm not asking something that has been addressed a bunch around here already.

Soon it will be ONLY HD. So whats free?

GORDON HUMMEL
02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
About 18 months ago, Dish stop charging $10 a month for HD, but retained the $10 charge & called it something about movies. Then about 6 month later they changed the line item description again. At any rate, this $10 charge is for a package that had never hear of. Looking to save $10 a month I cancelled that package. Then I noticed I did not get Velocity any more. I called Dish & they said it was in the package I cancelled. I asked what other show were moved to a new package with out notification & I got a big pause.
Did some research & Dish channel 5710, called TEST, HD only, actually carries all the Velocity programing for free. You'll have to use the manual timer to record anything; so I just record M-F, 5PM-8PM & that covers all the show I watch. Some excellent auto based shows!
Regarding Top Gear, from another post, I was referring to the show on BBCA, not the copycat domestic show that is pretty lame

NewellCrazy
02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Soon it will be ONLY HD. So whats free?

What's After HD You Might Ask?!
Ultra HD!!!!

what you need to know about UHD

TV is gearing up for another revolution in picture quality.

Today's 1920 x 1080 resolution Full HD TVs present us with an image of around 2 million pixels. But a new generation of screens are coming that deliver an 8 million pixel image.
The technology used to be referred to as 4K, but it'll be known going foward as Ultra High Definition, or Ultra HD (UHD). These Ultra High Definition TVs have a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (give or take), and can offer unprecedented picture clarity.
But their introduction will prove complex in the extreme. Introducing an Ultra HD TV isn't like adding LED backlighting to an LCD. It's about orchestrating a seismic shift in the broadcast and entertainment infrastructure, not to mention rewriting the consumer electronics handbook.

So why would you want an Ultra HD TV?

High definition already comes in a variety of flavours, from 1280 x 720 upwards. All offer more picture information than the standard definition formats that came before. The more pixels that make up an image, the more detail you see and the smoother curved and diagonal lines become.

A high pixel count also allows images to go larger before they break up. Ultra HD is already making big inroads into the world of digital cinema.
Of course, perceived picture resolution is as much about viewing distance as resolution. What's the real difference between 720p and 1080p? The answer is about 2 metres. Increase the pixel density and you can sit closer without the pixel grid becoming obvious.

Some engineers dispute that you can see a difference between 2K and 4K on any screen less than 100inches. Go larger and the subtle nuances that make up a 4K picture become easier to appreciate.

Tapping into Ultra HD content

The good news is that there is Ultra HD content available in the vaults of the Hollywood majors. Increasingly movies are mastered at 4K resolution, both for commercial distribution and restoration projects. Hollywood has also begun shooting movies in Ultra HD and beyond.

Peter Jackson's upcoming 3D production of The Hobbit, for example, is being shot on RED Epic digital cameras, capable of 5K resolution.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/home-cinema/high-definition/ultra-hd-what-you-need-to-know-about-uhd-1048954

jWolfe
02-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Interesting Sean I had no idea about this Ultra HD.

DavidBall
02-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Never heard of Ultra HD probably another way for these cable companies to up charge you.