PDA

View Full Version : Towing 4 wheels down or buy a tow dolly

WildCat
02-12-2013, 01:53 AM
We are trying to think ahead and are undecided whether to buy a tow dolly or tow our vehicle 4-wheels down.. Is there a preference or can you tell me which one is easier. The car manual states I can put the vehicle in neutral and turn key to accessories and all will be fine. Also, do you need breaking assistance? Any one prefer one over the other?

WildCat

NewellCrazy
02-12-2013, 03:42 AM
4 wheel down is how I do it. You can try the tow dolly route but I bet you will change your mind after a couple of trips :thumbup: unless of course you can't tow your toad 4 down than dolly is your only choice.

MrE
02-12-2013, 03:42 AM
4-wheels down is a lot less hassle than a tow dolly. Just my 2 cents. I've never had to use braking assistance on a toad so I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable.

GringoPhil
02-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I prefer 4-down just because I don't have a second vehicle (dolly) to deal with at RV parks and to maintain. But if I have a car that can't be towed 4-down ...or want to switch between toads ...a dolly would be my choice.

Neweller
02-12-2013, 04:14 PM
I have always preferred four wheels down. I have ran plenty of miles with tow dollies and you can't back them, even though most people prefer not to back a toad with four down either. I have backed with a toad many of times allowing me to get out of tight areas. This is another reason some prefer the trailer route over a dolly, another option to consider, that has been recently discussed around here.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
02-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I have the same answer at to the towing of a trailer. Either the trailer or dolly are great if you live on the interstate. However, I have had too many tight spots where I have had to disconnect and move the car to extricate the coach. Sure glad I did not have to manhandle a trailer or dolly which are difficult to backup.