PDA

View Full Version : Rent or Sell Home Prior to Full Timing?

MarkSparks
02-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Prior to going over the road fulltime, has anyone cleaned out their stick built home and rented it out to gain extra funds for full timing?

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where rental properties are very, very, easy to rent. Homes even better than apartments. Nice homes rent from K1000-$1200 a month. I'm wondering which is the better way to go rent or sell?

NEWELLWIZARD
02-17-2013, 02:23 AM
Mark that's a good question. If you are in an area where it's very easy to rent, I would suggest you rent first just to make sure the lifestyle is for you. I don't fulltime but you will find quite a few on here that do. I'm sure they will offer their input which would be much more helpful.

Neweller
02-17-2013, 02:37 AM
Mark, I have to agree with Mike and Amy. My family is pondering the exact same thing. We are in the process finishing up some things on a property we purchased about a 1 1/2 years ago. Our current plans are to either rent the house and buy another coach for part time USA usage and rent or buy property in Latin America. We have decided we do not want to full time in a coach 365 days a year and we would like to live outside the USA part of the year. Currently we are thinking about just renting our property out until we see how well the whole program comes together. Basically keeping some options on the table for a bit.

The toughest call is which way the real estate market will trend. We are positive rentals will be high, but not sure how stable the sales market will be?

Newell Attack
02-17-2013, 02:56 AM
We have our house up for sale on a 6 mo. contract, and if it doesn't sell we will go to plan B and rent it. We will also hire a lawn maintenance because can't see all the landscaping going downhill and add it to the price of the rent. I don't like the idea of renter as I did this work many years ago and know renters don't care for your property as the owners do, but some income is better than no income!

Jeff

The Newell
02-17-2013, 12:55 PM
In order to have real freedom from the property, you might be wise to enlist the services of a property manager.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Ken, you may want to consider what I have done. I sold my home in the mountains of Colorado and purchased a home on the beach in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, which is basically an American retirement community with the benefits of lower costs, deep-sea fishing, golf and great friends. We travel in the hot and humid summer months in our Newell is the states where it is cooler thus avoiding being a full-timer. I am sure this is not a lifestyle for everyone, but it works for me and I consider myself to be much safer here than many in many cities in the US.

1993Newell
02-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Melba and I sold our home and hit the road. When I can no longer drive will be the day we call it quits. It's true fulltiming isn't for everyone but our lifestyle has suited us just fine these past years. :) As Joseph stated if you are looking into renting out your home a good choice for you may be to hire a management company to deal with the property.

jWolfe
02-17-2013, 05:16 PM
If you rent it out now you can always plan to sell later if that seems like a better fit. That's just my two cents. :)

Maxwell55
02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
when the times comes our plan is to sell everything off and part ways. house the goods and all.

NewellCrazy
02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
We have a rental and didn't want to be bothered with phone calls about a leaky faucet, etc. They(Rental Management Company) charge 1/2 of the first month's rent as a finder fee. Then charge 10% of the monthly rent and handle absolutely everything. We never meet or talk to the renters. They also do a thorough credit check on the renters and have strict guidelines the renters must meet. The management company almost has a sixth sense to be able to
weed out anyone who might be questionable. I think a management firm is well worth it as the better quality renters you'll get will make all the difference.