PDA

View Full Version : Wanting Programmable Thermostat's In My Newell Coach

GringoPhil
02-17-2013, 11:14 PM
I was wanting to install a programmable thermostat designed for a house in my Newell. However, I wanted to check with others first and make sure I don't have to buy a special thermostat?

Phil

Luxury Coach, Bus Conversion, Prevost, Bluebird Wanderlodge, Eagle and MCI bus, Classic Deluxe RV Motorhome or motor home????

GORDON HUMMEL
02-18-2013, 12:46 AM
I have 3 house programable thermostats that work fine on the heat & air. As an example Ionly heat the bed & bath @ night & have the front two heaters come on @ 6:45 am.
When I get up, the front is warm!

folivier
02-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Gordon, good to see you around again,
What brand thermostat are you using?
Are these with the Dometic basement a/cs?
Do you have separate thermos for the a/c and the heat?
Interested in how you have these hooked up.

GringoPhil
02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi Gordon,

Thank You for your reply I too have like questions as Forest. Thermostat brand and how you hooked it up.

Phil

GORDON HUMMEL
02-18-2013, 04:11 PM
I actually have 3 different thermostats, 2 have different setting for the week & weekend. The last one I installed a Honeywell, RTH111 just has 4 different time setting. This works fine as now that I'm retired everyday is saturday & it's easier to program.
All 3 work the heat & air.
As far as wiring goes, it used the same 5 wire's that the Dometic thermostat used. I do see I made a note that the blue wire goes to the post labeled yellow. the other 4 are the same colors.
Last & most importantly, these new thermostats come with an AC compressor delay circuit. The dometic delays the compressor activation for 3-5 minutes after cooling is called for. This is to prevent short cycling damage to the compressor. I have bypassed the timer in the Dometic control box & now it comes on immediately.
NOTE: This last change will not protect the compressor is case of power failures/change over which is more common in coaches than houses!