PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Generator Goes Click Click Click

Cheri Smith
03-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Coach House battery & engine batteries are good. Generator goes click click click but will not start. We have a Kohler diesel generator.

Comments Please,

Cheri

David Carrol
03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
we had a similar problem. What we did was clean the battery terminals as well as the cable ends at the generator and at the batteries and the problem went away.

77newell
03-01-2013, 09:17 PM
It sounds as if as soon as the solenoid kicks in to start the generator the voltage drops below that needed to keep the solenoid engaged, usually this is either bad batteries or resistance in the supply wiring between the batteries and the starter. If the drive engine starts just fine then the batteries and the connections at the battery are OK since starting the drive engine will consume a lot more power than our little ole generators. So I would suggest starting on the generator end cleaning terminals and the connections inside (I had an instance when the terminal to cable interface was corroded which I discovered by poking the voltmeter lead through the cable covering at the terminal and finding I had voltage in the cable but not on the terminal end when connected to the starter and engaged). The only way to test is with a voltmeter while the starter is attempting to engage, starting at the starter and working upstream. Ordinarily I would start at the battery end and work downstream but in this case we know that end of things is fine.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the ground from the generator to the chassis could be bad and cause the same symptoms (yup had that happen too, just not with my coach). The test for that is to test for voltage on the generator engine block to chassis ground while trying to start the gen.

rellick
03-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Cleaning and inspecting connections is good routine maintainence, I would start with that, good chance it will work after,

Newellin Thunder
03-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Cheri, if your sure the batteries are good and terminals are clean and if your connections at the generator are clean and tight, all that is left is a bad starter. What you hear clicking is the starter solenoid.

GringoPhil
03-02-2013, 01:24 AM
What is the battery terminal voltage? What is the voltage at the clicking solenoid?

prairieschooner
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Agree with the others, sounds like a Voltage Issue. Typically would be corroded terminals or loose connections.
I would start by recording the Voltage, next the Voltage at the Batteries when attempting to start and then if no answer yet the Voltage at the Starter when attempting to start.
I have seen these symptoms with a bad Solenoid or Starter but most likely a poor Connection or Cable.
Good Luck, don't forget to check the Grounds!

folivier
03-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I have found bad cables on cars before. You could feel a crackly feeling when you bent the cable and under the insulation it was corroded.

Newell Attack
03-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Does it start or crank with motor home engine running?

Cheri Smith
03-06-2013, 04:24 PM
We tightened & cleaned battery terminals and ground cables. After that generator started right up and is running fantastic!!

Thanks for everyone's help,

Cheri

77newell
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Hey guys: thanks for sharing the solution and it's nice to know you are back in business