PDA

View Full Version : What is Bio-Mass Diesel Fuel Mix Blend

GringoPhil
03-02-2013, 01:37 AM
I fueled today at FlyingJ and I noticed a that the pump had 2 grades of diesel. ULSD and another that had a small yellow sticker on that read to the effect that "this fuel contains 5% to 20% bio-mass diesel". My question is what is bio-mass deisel blend fuel and can it be used in our coaches?

Phil

77newell
03-02-2013, 03:58 AM
According to the FTC, biomass-based diesel means "a diesel fuel substitute produced from non-petroleum renewable resources that meets the registration requirements for fuels and fuel additives established by the Environmental Protection Agency under 42 U.S.C. 7545, and includes fuel derived from animal wastes, including poultry fats and poultry wastes, and other waste materials, or from municipal solid waste and sludges and oils derived from wastewater and the treatment of wastewater, except that the term does not include biodiesel."

Also: it is registered as a motor vehicle fuel or fuel additive under 40 CFR part 79, if the fuel or fuel additive is intended for use in a motor vehicle.

So yes, we can burn it but given the source of the starting materials the exhaust may smell like 5-20% crap, or maybe not.

As I understand it, in our V92 engines if it burns we can probably make power with it.

cdat
03-02-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't remember the source, but I'm pretty sure that I've read that bio-fuels should not be used, at least not in my 91.

Novice Traveler
03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Never heard of it before. I did make a quick search and this is what I could find.

Biomass-based diesel and biodiesel blends The terms “biomass-based diesel blend” and “biodiesel blend” means a blend of “biomass-based diesel” or “biodiesel” fuel that is blended with petroleum-based diesel fuel.