PDA

View Full Version : In motion satellite antenna

HoosierDaddy
01-31-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm interested in any experience you all have had with in-motion satellite antennas. My Newell has the extra headroom option which makes the overall outside height greater. Has anybody had experience with the KVH tracvision A7? One reviewer commented that it doesnt work well if you are parked in the rain because of water puddling. I'm thinking "Rainex?" or a compressed air nozzle?
Thanks.
Dean

Richard and Rhonda
01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
I had a KVH on a previous rig. Only once did it get fouled up because of moisture. That was on a foggy morning with heavy dew.

It worked great if the kids wanted to watch something while we were in route. However, if I wanted to run the music feed from it through the stereo, I would get a digital "pop" when we went under bridges. Too annoying to use it in place of satellite radio.

There are tons of posts out there right now about this technology. Simply put, with the advent of high def TV the satellite broadcasters had to put up two more satellites in addition to the ones already up there. It takes a bigger and oblong dish to focus all those birds into one LNB pickup. The technology to put that big oblong dish into a compact package for a dome style in motion dish is not perfected.

The point is, if you are expecting a high def signal, or expecting to get signals off the newest satellites, you should do your research very carefully.