PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light Problem

PIExpress
03-10-2013, 05:35 AM
I was checking all the lights when I noticed that I had no brake lights. I have checked the bulbs, and fuses. All check ok. Can anyone help me to troubleshoot this problem.
Thank you

MiracleJ
03-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Have you checked your emergency flasher switch to make sure it's not engaged or burnt out? Also check your bulbs and relays.

prairieschooner
03-10-2013, 04:06 PM
I had this problem when we first got our '82 Newell.
We have Ross Steering and some of them had a problem with the Turn Signal/Emergency Flasher Switches, the problem with ours was in the Emergency Flasher portion although they are wired together. I found this out after contacting Chuck at Newell and they had a replacement that I believe was made by TRW-----If you need to install one of these please contact me first-----the Steering Wheel Hub needs to be turned on a lathe to get the clearance required!!! I should still have my drawings somewhere-----

OK here is how I found my problem; The brake light switch is under the coach in the air line ****DO NOT GO UNDER THE COACH WITHOUT BLOCKING!!!**** The wire from the brake light switch comes to the steering column as a red with white stripe so you could just check for voltage there and if you have voltage there you would need to check the signal to the relays, sorry I cannot find my notes but the brake signal is interrupted by the emergency flasher switch so that the brake lights override the emergency flasher signal only on the rear lights and the front lights still flash. If the Turn Signals work but No Brake Lights--the problem is most likely as described and in the steering column since they use the same relays, those relays are in the panel at the rear of the coach on the passenger side.

I was on the road when I found this problem, I used a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel adapter hub. Now I could remove the switch, found the problem and was able to solder in a bypass wire and continue until I got the replacement part from Newell. Here is what the column looks like with the new switch.

prairieschooner
03-13-2013, 12:59 AM
PIExpress, Don't forget to give us an update on you problem, it helps others get answers!

PIExpress
03-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Prairieschooner,

I won't forget to give an update once I locate the problem. Right now I took a brake from troubleshooting and will most likely pick up where I left off in a couple of days so stay tuned for an update.

chockwald
03-13-2013, 08:37 PM
When I had problems with my brake lights a year, or so ago I was grateful for Steve's help in solving my problem. Fortunately it was not my emergency flasher module. He is a pretty sharp guy when it comes to electrical stuff.