PDA

View Full Version : Can I Claim Sales Tax Paid on my taxes....

Brian Atwood
03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, We bought our Newell used and I want to know if I am allowed to claim the sales tax I paid for this in an itemized form? Thanks.

Brian

GringoPhil
03-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I would guess that if you itemize all of your deductions, you should be able to deduct it, but it would pay to check with an expert.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
03-24-2013, 10:15 PM
If you itemize your deductions, the IRS has a table to determine your state and local sales taxes, but you are allowed to add anything like a motorhome that is large and unusual. The short answer - yes.

cdat
03-25-2013, 03:11 AM
You can deduct whatever you want,.......until you get audited:laugh:

Jack Fouts
03-25-2013, 05:38 AM
Check with your own state. Some states do allow you to claim or write off local vehicle registration but it may or may not make any difference depending whether you have a business or file as an individual.

NewellCrazy
03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Yes for now. The sales tax is part of Schedule A line 5 of the form. I think you can use either sales tax paid or state tax withheld but not both. I suspect the sales tax option is for tax payers from states that do not have income tax and rely on sales taxes such as Texas, Florida and Tennessee to fund the state.

Also check for potential deductions for state and local personal property tax on the coach and interest if you financed the purchase. If you are not sure check with a licensed tax preparer. The government want’s their tribute and has rather nasty ways of getting it from you. Just ask Al Capone.

Brian Atwood
05-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks everyone it's all working out. :thumbsup:

NEWELLWIZARD
05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Brian glad it's all working out for you. Care to share what you've decided to do and how you went about it?

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
05-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Brian, I hope you saw what I posted on March 24th. Not all of the responses are correct.