PDA

View Full Version : Coach Power Inverter Recommendation?

Scott Whitney
03-30-2013, 05:36 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I am looking for a good power inverter recommendation. I know you usually get what you pay for, but I dont want to over pay for a piece of junk. Price is not really a concern but I'd like to make an investment that will last, work great, and be dependable. Also large enough to never worry about it every time I turn something on.

Thank You

Will Procter
03-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Ask yourself this question: Will I need "true" pure sine wave (required if you will run induction motors such as the ones in household refrigerators, air conditioners, and the like, microwave ovens, laser printers, induction cooktops, or certain other electronic devices and appliances), or is "modified sine wave" sufficient (suitable for lights, heating elements, most electronics including TVs and computers, and "universal" motors like the ones in many household appliances such as blenders and power tools)?

Will Procter

Scott Whitney
03-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Looking for pure sine, for multiple air conditioners, fridge etc..

NewellCrazy
03-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Most inverters designed for the rv industry operate on 12 volts and top out around 2,500 watts, although there are a handful of 3,000-watt units. The only 4,000-watt unit is the Xantrex XPower 5000, which is an MSW model that is not suitable for air conditioners and refrigerators.

To get into the higher power ranges, above 3kW, most manufacturers go to 24v input (or higher). 4,000 and 5,000-watt models are fairly common in 24 volts.

One way to get more power at the 12v level is to use more than one inverter. The inexpensive way to do this is to have each inverter run a separate subpanel with separate loads. However, if you need to have the full output current available in aggregate, you can get models that "stack" using a special communications cable, allowing you to parallel the output into a single larger feed. So you could, for example, buy a pair of 2,500-watt sine-wave units with stacking capability and gang them into a single output capable of delivering 42 amps continuously.

All that said, bear in mind you are talking about hundreds of dollars in cables, fuses, switches, and other accessories to pull that much power from 12v. 5,000 watts requires well over 400 amps.

Then there is the matter of batteries to support this amount of load. If your plan was for the road alternator to supply the power, unless you've added alternator capacity, you'll be limited to about 3kW anyway I believe -- above that, and you will overwhelm the alternator and begin depleting the batteries.

I would strongly encourage you to be more precise about your total load and what you realistically expect the inverter(s) to support at any given time. Being "ready for anything" can get expensive in a hurry.

If you can get back down to 2,500 watts (continuous) or so, there are lots of good choices on the market, and then it becomes a matter of features and price.

Sean

77newell
03-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Scott: I have struggled since yesterday how to respond to this request. The information you have provided us leads me to conclude you have precious little knowledge of how these electrical systems function. I'm no inverter expert but I can't imagine what you hope to achieve with the system you propose. Yes, as Sean defined, it can be done though the benefits of doing so are lost on me. I can't imagine what the overall net benefit would be given the expense and complexity of such a system. I want to be helpful to you but I'm stumped to provide anything that I imagine is going to lead to where I think you are trying to go.

everything I know just ain't so

GORDON HUMMEL
03-31-2013, 08:26 PM
When I was working on my bus & buying components monthly, I picked up a 4800w pure sine inverter/charger. When I got my Newell which never had an inverter, I figured it was a perfect spot. On my first trip, the inverter failed. As a temp meassure & being in the middle on nowhere Utah, I went to the local Walmart & picked up a 1000w Black & Decker inverter MSW for $100. That was 4 years ago. It was meant to run the TV for the grandkids.
About a year later & still on the road, my dometic Frig leaked all the amonia. I purchased a 110v ac frig. Had to change some wiring, but it could now run off the inverter.
As a further note, when I got my Newell it had 2 brand new interstate wet cells, not deep cycle batteries. I knew they were wrong, but given they were new, I'd just wait till they quit working. Still working after 5 years, & the first year was hooked to the original battery burner.

My point is that while there has been a lot of discussion on all kinds of expensive & exotic battery & charging systems, it boils down to matching your equipment to your applications..............................& proper maintance.

Scott Whitney
04-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks members, I purchased an outback inverter(great price) that I will install in coming weeks once I get a few more items fixed and squared away.

Scott