PDA

View Full Version : Improving AC performance

GORDON HUMMEL
04-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Through trial & error I have found that the insulated AC ducts used in my Newell, cut airflow by about 50%. Before I installed the front roof air, I depended on the original Dometic unit. The evaporator is mounted under the forward dinette seat & then goes up the wall & terminates in the cove.
You can see from the picture below, there is a hole to the rear of the speaker, right of the thermostats. You can imagine that with the cove cover in place very little cold air makes it to the living area. I redid all the ductwork in metal from the blower to the vent. It took 2 elbows at the top to get it to fit properly. There was room for the the old lights, but just barely. Now that LED are installed there is plenty or room. One other point: I had to change the spot lights under the cove, because the old ones stuck up into the cove.

I also did the center AC ductwork in metal when I was redoing the pantry. I also moved the register out & turned it 45 deg so it would cool something other than the microwave. People in the co pilot seat complain that it blows on them!3747374837493750375137513752

HoosierDaddy
04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Thank you Gordon, I apreciate you sharing this...I am looking to improve the performance of my front A/C.

Jack Fouts
04-01-2013, 03:32 PM
This is really great information and photography. Looks like you really improved the efficiency of the system and goes to show how the LED technology comes in handy with space savings.

1993Newell
04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes thank you Gordon. You've really did some changes that are beneficial. I would love to do these updates on our coach but I don't think I could do it myself.

GORDON HUMMEL
04-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Yes thank you Gordon. You've really did some changes that are beneficial. I would love to do these updates on our coach but I don't think I could do it myself.

Ed,
This actually was one of my easier projects. The hardest part was getting the padded cove cover off. I had it off previously, so I knew where the screws were!
Once you get most of the screws out, & having someone ready to help, as it is not light. Remove the screws that hold the electrical panel to the cove cover. This panel will fit
through the hole in the cover. Be careful as ther is AC back there, wear gloves

If you, or anyone else wants to take the cover off, I would say it is imperrative to get a Skill 3 volt angled head screw drive. It is actually not a very good tool, except for this application.
Best $20 spent. Also replace the phillips head screws with hex head. Much easier to find & drive.

This is pretty much an R & R job, just adding 4" metal duct work....probably 3-4 hours
My ducted front roof air took 2 weeks.

Now don't talk to me about adding new TV's

stewart33
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Gordon am I reading this correctly? It was only $20.00 in materials to do all this? You saved yourself some $$$. Well done! :clap2: It blows so hard the passenger in the co-pilot seat complains? It's better its blowing cold than not feeling it at all. :thumbup:

GORDON HUMMEL
04-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Yet, about $20. I reused the original insulation.
My statement about blowing on the co-pilot, was actually referring to the center AC unit that is across from the microwave.

ccjohnson
04-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Looks great Gordon!