PDA

View Full Version : Ramps, Spitter Valves

cdat
04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
I discovered that two of the spitter valves on my air system tanks are leaking and need to be replaced. I spoke with Newell, their recommendation was to replace them with standard petcocks, should be easy enough.
Since I will have to drain the air from the tanks I will need to put the coach up on ramps in order to have enough room to get underneath it and work. My plan is to use some fence posts, (similar to railroad ties), for the ramps.
I know I need to put the ramps under both duals, but do I need to support the tag axles also?
The reason I'm choosing fence posts are, cheaper, easier to get, and for the most part seem to be in better shape, harder to find railroad ties that aren't cracked. Size is about the same, 6" x 8".

Any thoughts?

John

MrE
04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Didn't you already pick up jack stands?

cdat
04-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes, but with the air leaks I'm having trouble getting the coach very high off the ground, in places my belly won't clear. Ramps are easier then losing weight.:laugh:

Gone Busing
04-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Here you go John. This will give some idea of how you can utilize your wood ramps under your Newell coach. These photos are of ones made out of plywood sheet material using a graduation tier layering effect. The are 10" in height giving you that much additional clearance.