PDA

View Full Version : 6V92 Engine Maintenance Schedules

Pascao
04-17-2013, 07:52 PM
This topic is about maintenance schedules. I'm getting confused with what I'm finding in the manual as far as when I should do what. So, with that in mind, I'm reading the manual. Here are things I'm reading:

1) oil changes - 3 months or 6000 miles - really? Every 3 months!!!
2) transmission fluid/filter - ever 25K or 1 year - yearly???
3) rear axle fluid - every 6 months change fluid???
4) U joints/slip joints - grease monthly?
5) what's a "shutterstat"?
6) no mention of how often to change antifreeze

I have to say, if the above is truly the recommended schedule, no wonder the engines in commercial service last so long, as that is aggressive!

NewellCrazy
04-17-2013, 11:57 PM
I'm sure others will have different opinions which is probably why no one answered your question so I'll take a stab at it.

When you change your engine oil grease your coach at the same time, elevated of course. Rear axle, check oil, if OK, leave it. The rear end oil doesn't have to go thru combustion etc like the engine oil.

Antifreeze, check and maybe change every 2 - 3 years, it depends. Transmission fluid, if its red and fresh looking, and tranny works good, fine. Only checking it if it is full.

Maintenance is a very personal thing. Over-kill is better than Under-kill. When it really comes down to what these machines can do, it is surprising.

I believe in: Don't fix whats not broken, do not use dirty or contaminated fluids, check for proper fluid levels, keep things tight, use your discretion.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Neweller
04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Pascao, welcome to the website and forum if I haven't already invited you. I have never changed my oil in a 6V92 at 3 months. I don't know where your heard that but that would make a DD guy go broke in matter of speaking. The old standard rule we always went by that came from Detroit Diesel was every 6000 miles or 6 months. I have heard from fleet owners running Amsoil that they are going a lot further than that between oil changes. Wet sleeve engines seem to need oil changes much more often than a dry sleeve.