PDA

View Full Version : Zip Dee Awning Pull Strap Separated

Lou Placentia
05-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Good afternoon everyone happy to see this wonderful forum up again.

This morning I was pulling my Zip Dee patio awning down and all of a sudden the pull strap started separating from the fasteners.

I'm not really surprised since after all the fabric and the fasteners have been "pulled on" many times over the course of its life.

Any suggestion on a repair? Without the pull strap, it seems the awning is virtually useless.

Thank,

Lou

speedingsport
05-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Lou maybe now is a good time to upgrade. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/exterior-works/5335-zipdee-nx-hardware-upgrade-awning-kit.html#post33927

77newell
05-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Lou: if the awning is fine I would think Zipdee could easily make you a new pull strap if you given them the dimensions. If the pull strap is an indication of the short remaining life of the awnings then maybe now is the time to replace all the fabric - not a difficult job.

Newellin Thunder
05-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I have to agree with Jon, Might as well replace all your awning fabric at the same time.

express1
05-04-2013, 12:47 AM
can you say TIE WRAPS:o

prairieschooner
05-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Typically the Strap is exposed to the Sun much more than the Awning itself is.
Our Large Awning had a similar problem and we repaired it ourselves. Patti just got her hands on some Sunbrella and simply made a new strap. She sewed it to the remaining portion of the weathered strap a few years ago, no worries since the "repair".

chockwald
05-04-2013, 12:33 PM
As Steve said the STRAP is exposed to the weather 100% of the time, plus when you are moving it is flapping against the side of the coach. The loop you hook on to pull out our main awning strap began to fail and we just used some Sunbrella to fix it. Worked like a charm. There is no need to worry about replacing the entire awning. Chances are the main awning fabric is still in good condition, and unless it has some obvious damage replacing it would just be throwing money down the toilet. No point in turning a simple fix into a very expensive proposition.

77newell
05-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I thought I was hearing Lou, the original poster, say that the strap was separating at the fasteners at the roll tube which lead me to wonder how the rest of the fabric was doing. If as the later posters have suggested that its just the bottom end that's exposed all the time then either a new strap or strap repair would be sufficient. It is interesting and useful that different readers envision quite different things when problems are posed.