PDA

View Full Version : Big Rig Resorts and Camping Section Request

zcasa
02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey Newell Enthusiasts:

I wonder if it would be of interest to our members to have a RV park section that would allow us to post campgrounds around North America that we would recommend for our big rigs?

Have a good day.

David

ikcandco
02-16-2008, 03:55 PM
- David, that would certainly be a 'Great Section' and wouldn't have to verify or count
on other 'RV Forums' to get answers.

- While traveling, for a one or two day/night stay, it's always great to know the 'RV
Parks for 'Big Rigs'' along major highways.

- Another point : Are lots long enough to welcome 'RV Travelers' without unhitching
their 'Dingy' or 'Stacker.'
------------------
May God Bless
KC ~ 1999s What's this?

rheavn
05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
This seems like a very common sense idea. One of our biggest problems is finding campgrounds that are "really" big rig friendly. That means roads wide enough to turn, trees trimmed to 14', sites long enough to accommodate 45' coaches with trailer or towed, etc. I know there are other campground web sites that provide descriptions, but I've found they all profess to be big rig friendly when they aren't. I agree that having a Campground section would assist forum users as I would rather depend on a Newell owner to evaluate a campgrounds ability to handle big rigs. Any one else think this is a good idea?

fulltiming
05-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Been there, done that!! I have used the "Big Rigs, Best Bets" campground guide and found it very helpful. That said, there is nothing like first hand experience with a Newell. I know that Tom (currently "out of country") can attest that terrain and road surfaces can be a factor even if the spaces are "big rig" friendly.

I have stayed at a KOA in Riverside, Michigan that claimed to be "big rig" friendly. They found us a space that had plenty of room. Unfortunately, trying to negotiate through the park to get to the space when the park was relatively full was a real problem, I received several scratches in the paint from trees and had difficulty avoiding hitting cars parked on the side of the curves inside the park and still avoid the tree branches sticking out into the road. (This with my toad detached and Georgia driving it.)

If I had been towing a trailer I would have had to back out and go somewhere else.

Great idea David.

rheavn
05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Michael,
Your point is exactly why I asked the question. I too use many other resources and while finding them helpful, I still feel a need for imput from someone who is driving a like vehicle. I have to be careful when camping with friends as they do not consider some of the things in a campground I do--they'll say "I didn't think of the low trees" or "You can't get down these narrow roads & turn?". If I was able to see your critique of the Michigan KOA in advance I could save myself a whole lot of headaches by just finding another park that fit my needs.
I'm not saying this site needs to turn into a campground review site, but I know it would help me and hopefully others to get campground critiques on the issues we face because we are driving a Newell. Whether people agree or disagree I would hope they would voice their opinion.

Neweller
05-20-2010, 05:08 PM
If members are willing to provide the information, I'm sure we can implement some sort of section or format to share this type of info.

NC Admin

Newell Tank
05-20-2010, 11:20 PM
We like the idea. It's not as much of an issue close to home for us here in Florida, but when we are up in the NE it can get awful cramped. I have taken out a limb or two and put a couple of scratches on the rig.

Have our votes!

Gene and Darla

folivier
06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Great ideas, when we're travelling Cindy keeps notes of campgrounds and also possible stopping spots for future uses. She made copious notes on a trip through the Natchez Trace of the pullover sizes.

chockwald
06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
This is a great idea. Most of us know where the good sites are near our homes, but once we get far afield it becomes a crap shoot. Many parks say they are "big rig friendly", but, in fact, are anything but.....

Richard and Rhonda
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Forrest,

Can you send me the info on the Natchez. It is a great road for cycling. Rhonda and I are toying with a Newell trip there during cooler weather.

Thanks

R

folivier
06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Will do Richard. Give me a few days to find them. We followed the Trace from Jackson to Tupelo. There is a state park in Tupelo with a nice campground on the lake. Cindy has notes on which sites are best also, the one we stayed at juts out into the lake like a mini-peninsula. We've driven on the route by car from Natchez to Jackson also. Don't know about north of Tupelo but it is a nice relaxing drive.

Brad Townsend
10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Great Idea, where is it? Who is in charge of such a task?

express1
10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Connie and I have been staying at Outdoors Resort Ozarks. Way to many good things to list. Check their website.

We should have or maybe it already exists.
Timeshare RV Sites.
How about two partners here!:thumbsup:

Summersgal
10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
I found a Outdoors Resort but it listed several. Is this a park that is across the states? I figured with it being Ozarks it is in Arkansas? If you have the site would you mind posting? If its in the Ozarks that would be a good weekend trip for us.

Thanks
Pam

zcasa
10-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Hey Pam:

www.outdoor-resorts.com/

You'll love any one of them.

Safe travels.

David

express1
10-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Heading South

Brad Townsend
10-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know where the donate button is?

Summersgal
10-20-2010, 01:55 PM
David

Thanks for the link. This is the one that I thought it was.

Pam

chockwald
10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Outdoor Resorts is on the pricey side, but the facilities, and amenities are amazing. Matt, some of your pictures at their other resorts look like they came out of a magazine, including the most recent ones of the Ozarks one!