PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stalls After 1 Min.

DavidBall
05-12-2013, 01:01 AM
It seems I have an issue, and I'm not sure what causes this.

1) Coach starts just like normal, but after about 60 seconds the tach drops and it then just dies.

My instinct said fuel or air intake.

I have checked all the things suggested in here that are obvious, such as the air filter and fuel filter.

But I think I'm missing something else that may be obvious and simple. Anyone had this happen before ?

It starts exactly like normal. It just won't run long.

Ideas ?

77newell
05-12-2013, 01:27 AM
David: my coach does something like that if the stop solenoid on the governor gets stuck in the stop position. That does not apply directly to your electronic engine but gives an idea that fuel shutoff is an issue. Is it possible that the shutdown signal is being sent to the emu computer. Have you tried mashing the throttle, what happens then. I'm just guessing at what's going on since I have yet to work on DDEC engines but I'm about to.

Newellin Thunder
05-12-2013, 02:22 AM
If the sequence is like this something is killing DC power to the engine. Could it be a Circuit Breaker??

prairieschooner
05-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Agreed, if you have replaced the Fuel Filters and checked on the Water Separator then hopefully it is simply the Solenoid. Check the terminals 1st and then voltage to the solenoid. (Detroit?)
Good Luck!

NewellCrazy
05-12-2013, 04:11 PM
When the engine stops after the 60 seconds of running time, does it immediately restart as normal, or are there other issues?

Vantare
05-12-2013, 08:27 PM
What changes in the cranking / warm up process at @ 60 seconds? Sounds like something is supposed to sense something or do something at 60 seconds that isn't completing properly.

jack14r
05-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I had a truck do this and the radiator overflow tank was empty,just added coolant and it was fixed.

rellick
05-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Could be an alarmstat, sense low oil pressure, low coolant, overtemp etc. make sure your fluids are all topped up. Possibly faulty alarm stat.

Viva Las Vegas JDR
05-13-2013, 02:09 AM
Have you been sitting for any length of time, before getting into possible complicated reasons why it doesn't want to run, stick with the basics. Eliminate the possibility of algae or other things clogging up the filters and choking out the engine.