PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Leaking Repair or Replace

Dom Ferris
05-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Hey guys my newell has a leaking Rad. Pretty much right in the center of the rad. So I'm looking for a bit of advice on fixing it. If I remember correct. Can you get a bigger (more fins) radiator that would cool better than the original??

Or whats your suggestions?? Thanks for any help.

ccjohnson
05-16-2013, 06:48 PM
We got ours re-cored in Las Cruces, NM. They farmed out the job to a local raditor shop that got the new core from a place in Dallas. My cost for radiator re-core with 1 yr warranty was +/- $2,500.00.

rellick
05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
I just had one re-cored also, 2500 not including install or coolant,

Ron Skeen
05-16-2013, 08:29 PM
I purchase from Atlas Radiator a new charge air cooler and radiator at the same price as a recore would be. They are in Texas and are the same company which made the system for Newell. This was for my 96 and I think was the supplier for the 80's through 2000's.

NewellCrazy
05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
try and find one with offset fins(modern design) keep it cooler than the original.

MrE
05-16-2013, 09:42 PM
I purchase from Atlas Radiator a new charge air cooler and radiator at the same price as a recore would be. They are in Texas and are the same company which made the system for Newell. This was for my 96 and I think was the supplier for the 80's through 2000's.

Great information Ron! Here's a link to their website. http://atlasradiator.cc/home.html

Neweller
05-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Atlas looks like a great company to get a core from. I had ordered a core from a similar type of company in Northern California and had it shipped up to a heavy duty radiator shop in Portland, OR. I believe the core was around $8-900 and with shipping and with reman labor I was in the thing around $1500, which I then installed it myself. I saved around $3k by going this route. With the hot months coming upon us, I have already spoken with a handful of Newell owners dealing with similar issues. Time to get the house in order.

Yachts
05-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Dang I put a new charge air cooler on it too!

Ron Skeen
05-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Atlas is a original equipment supplier for Newell. On my 96 the first problem was the new charge air cooler that Yachts had installed. 2006 I removed and took back to AL to the company that made it. They fixed the leak and I put back on. Lasted still 2008 when in Denver started leaking again. Had Detroit dealer there fixed and they re cored. This lasted until 2011 and failed. Then had Atlas to build all new CAC in 2012 and I installed the new one. Three month later the radiator went bad so I had Atlas to build another. The CAC had to be remove again to install the Radiator. This mean that the CAC has been taken out of the 96 four times. It is a big job to remove the side CAC and RAD and if I every have a problem with either on my 04 I will diffidently will change both and replace with new units from Atlas and would not re-core. The labor is about the same changing one or both.