PDA

View Full Version : What front end and brakes do I have?

sopicki
05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Hello Newellers, I just got our (new) Newell (the Carole Ann) to Ohio from SanDiego last week. I got very little documentation with the coach so I'm trying to put together a resource manual for what exactly we've got. I'd like to know what type of steering system and brakes are on the coach. It's a 1972 with a Rockwell Standard front axle. The model number of the axle is FD901 HX115. Where do we go when seeking steering and brake parts? Were these front ends standard on any type of chassis? Any parts diagrams would be appreciated! Thank you so much.

Neweller
05-17-2013, 05:18 PM
The steering may be adjustable depending on what kind of gear box you have. I'm wondering if that year has Saginaw on it? They were usually adjustable. I know that one I had on my '76 and '78 were adjustable and I took out over an inch of play on the '78. Other things could be in the front end or even bad tires and alignment etc...Some items will have to be sourced by crossing over from numbers off the actual components. I believe most of your chassis will be Ford components which should all be available.

sopicki
05-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Ken, thanks for that info. The front tires are new and it tracks straight (won't know for sure about alignment though until the tires start to wear), I'm guessing that the gear lash in the box is our problem and we'll be checking that soon. Thanks.

MrE
05-17-2013, 10:31 PM
I can't remember the brand of steering box on my '73, but it was adjustable and I was able to take all the play out of the steering by adjusting it.

86loco
05-18-2013, 01:11 AM
We have tightened the Ross steering up on our coach and added a smaller wheel. Worked out well for us. Bob does your little gem have air or all all leaf spring suspension?

prairieschooner
05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Our '82 has Ross, really not sure about yours. Be careful to not tighten the box too much though. There needs to be a little play in our older boxes.

rellick
05-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Ken, thanks for that info. The front tires are new and it tracks straight (won't know for sure about alignment though until the tires start to wear), I'm guessing that the gear lash in the box is our problem and we'll be checking that soon. Thanks.
Hi Bob, you can check your toe in easily with a tape measure, with your front wheels off the ground, make a mark on each tire at the front on the tread, measure across from tire to tire, note the measurement, roll the tires 180deg (as close as you can get) to the rear,measure across again, compare the two. The front should be 1/8-1/4 in toe in (shorter) Be sure to check your tie rod play before you do this. Hope this helps!! Love your Coach!! Vintage is cool!!

77newell
05-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Bob: you don't need to wait for tire wear to know what's going on. In addition to what Keith suggested in terms of alignment I would suggest reading the summary of my steering work on my 77 coach:http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/major-mechanicals/1597-steering-solutions.html

sopicki
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the toe techniques and the link to the Steering Solutions! These will be a great help when I get to these items. Wheels will be coming off in July to check brakes and steering components will be checked then as well.