View Full Version : Salellite Data Connection

Charlie Kokesh
10-28-2000, 04:23 PM
When I travel, there are two satellite-related options that
would be a great plus:

1. In motion TV reception for the kids, and

2. In motion or stationary internet connection

I know that Hughes Electronics has an offering named
DirecPC or DirecDuo for internet connection.

Are there any competing options?

How do I find out exactly what satellite system was installed
in my coach when it was built?

What would it cost to upgrade to one of the newest in motion
systems?
at the factory?

TechTalk
10-29-2000, 05:33 PM
1. So far, we have not seen anyone offer an in-motion system compatible with DirecPc or DirecDuo. This may be because so far, the data stream for these internet connections is only one way by satellite, download, with the upload via a phone line. We expect to see some interesting developments, but it is hard to predict the time frame.

2. The factory installed stationary systems in 1996 were Moto Sat. An in-motion system requires a complete change over of dish and satellite electronics, and would cost approximately $3500 - $4000.

TechTalk

Charlie Kokesh
11-05-2000, 01:49 AM
After purchasing a coach with an already installed small dish type satellite system, who do I contact for a programming subscription?

Bud Burton
11-09-2000, 12:13 PM
You will need to contact DirecTV to set up an account if your receiver still has a valid access card
in place. If not you can contact a Satellite Retailer to get a card and programming. You can contact
our office via e-mail for more info.

Thanks

Bud Burton
Mobil Satellite Technologies

Raul Cortez
11-13-2000, 12:38 AM
I have the same need for internet service while travelling in my coach. I just received an email update from Dish Network, which indicated that starting late this month they will be offering satellite internet service without the need for a telephone line. You can visit their site at: www.starband.com . After visiting their site, I read that satellite service is not available at this time. But we should keep checking their site for updates for their service. Also, look into internet service provided through cellular antenna. Look at www.goamerica.com . They offer unlimited internet service for $59.95 per month via cellular antenna. A special pcmcia card with an antenna is required, which can be bought from them. The only fall back is the service is only available while in major cities. If you have any new information please post it or email me please. I hope they figure this stuff out soon.

Raul Cortez
11-13-2000, 04:11 PM
After reading further on at starband.com, I have learned that they do not recommend the two-way internet for motorhomes. They say that it requires a special installer to aim the satellite. I don't know what is so diffucult about aiming the satellite though. Their site said that Starband service will be available in November through Dish Network retailers and through Radio Shack. Dish Network will be selling a Starband modem with dish. And Radio Shack will be selling a computer that has special hardware installed in it that will hook up to the external dish. I imagine that other companies are on the verge of releasing similar versions of no phone line internet service.