PDA

View Full Version : Newell won't start

MiracleJ
06-07-2013, 08:48 PM
I haven't been able to get my newell started in almost a week. I have about 8-10 inches of fuel in the tank and I changed the fuel filters. Still no start. My coach has never given me a problem unless I ran out of fuel . Help please. Thanks, Jerry

77newell
06-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Jerry: you didn't say which engine and year you have. Can you give us more detail on the circumstances leading up to the first time it failed to start (how long since previously started, where parked and how long in that place, anything you did to the coach recently - that sort of stuff). The more you give us the more likely we can lead you to the solution.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Jerry, like Jon said, which engine? You said you changed filters, meaning more than one. Question, did you prime the engine after changing the filters? Most diesels with mechanical pumps, versus electric pressure pumps, will not start with air in the line.

folivier
06-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Is the engine turning over, cranking? If so then could be fuel related, or something in engine computer.

MiracleJ
06-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Hey guys,

Engines an 8V92T, Will turn over does not start.

ccjohnson
06-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Is the remote switch in engine compartment in "on" position?

ccjohnson
06-08-2013, 01:30 AM
Is the remote switch in engine compartment in "on" position? Also, checl DDEC pop up circuit breakers.

folivier
06-08-2013, 02:11 AM
Good call Clint! These circuit breakers, there are 2, are in the electronics compartment in the passenger side of the engine compartment. I had one go bad and engine was running really rough. Only running on 4 cylinders. Replaced the circuit breaker and it worked fine.
When you replaced the fuel filter did you prefill it? If not pull it off and fill it with clean diesel.

prairieschooner
06-08-2013, 02:38 AM
what year, my '82 has a Pneumatic Governor and needs Air Pressure for the Throttle to work. Recommendations if it similar to mine;
1st) Check the Fuel Solenoid to ensure that it is engaging with the Ignition.
2nd) Check the Fuel Solenoid to ensure that it is engaging with the Ignition.
3rd) Bring up the Air Pressure to ensure that the Throttle works.

77newell
06-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Jerry: some of the answers you've been given here apply to DDEC versions of the 8V92T and some apply to the mechanically governed versions. Unless you, and we, know which version you have these answers could make any of us drop a stroke or two.

NewellCrazy
06-08-2013, 11:10 PM
If it is cranking and there is no smoke, then there is no fuel. If there was an emergency shut down engaged and there was fuel there would be a lot of white smoke. No smoke equals no fuel which means it has lost prime or the engine.

prairieschooner
06-09-2013, 01:18 AM
I agree we all need to know more, that is why I clarified that the experiences were with our '82 6V92 with Air Governor. Without knowing the specifics we are all speculating.

Jerry: some of the answers you've been given here apply to DDEC versions of the 8V92T and some apply to the mechanically governed versions. Unless you, and we, know which version you have these answers could make any of us drop a stroke or two.