PDA

View Full Version : 4 6v golf cart batts

cdat
06-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Would someone mind posting a drawing of how they have their 4 6v golf cart batteries wired up with the two positive and negative leading coming in from the coach. Want to make sure I do this correctly and don't short out a battery,

thanks
John

prairieschooner
06-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Here is the best way to wire them as a bank 4195

and with four they should be like this4194

The key here is to have the + and - Cables at opposing ends of the bank, this allow the best use of the Banks. I have had our wired this way for the past 5 years. Congratulations on choosing this option over 8D's as this should give you more usable power. The attachment below is the wrong way to wire them.

Here is a link to a site that helps describe it;
6 volt deep cycle battery connected in series « San Diego RV, Solar, Marine & Golf Cart Battery

(http://www.sandiegorvandgolfcartbattery.com/series-parallel-connection.html)

cdat
06-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks so much, big help.
John

prairieschooner
06-09-2013, 01:14 AM
you're welcome. The ideas here is that you get the best use of all the batteries.

Dave-n-Marjorie
06-09-2013, 02:06 AM
??? Ok confused. I just ordered 6 8D's......How can 4 six volt have more than 6 8Ds? Why would Newell install them like that from the factory???? I would happily change mine to 6 volts if its better. BTW, my interstate 8D's are costing me $125 each since I work for a RV mfg.

What should I do? I can cancel my 8d's on monday if need be and order 6 volt. I will be using the inverter alot this summer traveling all over, so just thought I needed the same as Newell installed new.

Congratulations on choosing this option over 8D's as this should give you more usable power. The attachment below is the wrong way to wire them.

cdat
06-09-2013, 02:23 AM
Dave, I'm obviously no battery genius, I replaced two 8ds with four 6v's. I think you would have to have 12 6v in order to increase the capacity beyond what you are putting in. I'm sure someone will come along and explain in more detail.
John

prairieschooner
06-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Yes, we were talking about 4 each 6 Volt DC Batteries to replace 2 each size 8D Batteries for the House Bank. You would need 6 each 6 Volts DC Batteries wired in series to produce 12 Volts DC to replace 3 each size 8D Batteries.

The common thought here is that the Golf Cart Type 6 Volts DC Batteries have better power over a longer period of time because they are designed to have a slow discharge over a longer period of time. This technology doesn't transfer into the other types of Batteries but is still considered the best type for say SOLAR use.

Not sure what kind of 8D Batteries you are putting in since there are different types: AGM, Flooded Lead Acid Starting, Flooded Lead Acid Deep Cycle, Flooded Lead Acid Hybrid (Starting and Deep Cycle) and then there are others as well. It also depend on the type of use and the level of maintenance you are willing to do.

Dave-n-Marjorie
06-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the quick response guys. I got it! Makes sense. I will stick with my six 8D lead acid interstates. I also ordered two starting 8D's. Might as well do them all at one time for $1k and not worry for 3 or 4 years.

prairieschooner
06-09-2013, 03:03 AM
agreed, start fresh and don't worry.

cdat
06-09-2013, 03:31 AM
That's my next project, replace the starting batteries, man these batteries are expensive.

folivier
06-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Expensive???? Wow Dave at the price you're getting they're darn cheap!

prairieschooner
06-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Forest,
I pay around $100.00 for my size 8D Starting Batteries but these are Flooded Lead Acid Starting Batteries and not Deep Cycle. That is why I keep the House and Starting Banks separated.

I think that the price of the batteries was from Dave-n-Marjorie and that is about right for discounted Interstate size 8D Batteries. Now if one wants to upgrade to AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) or other types get out the second wallet.

As a side note, a Flooded Lead Acid can Freeze if Discharged yet an AGM is not supposed to and does require maintenance. An AGM has different Charging Requirements than a Flooded Lead Acid.

Dave,
I know others that use Golf Cart Batteries for the Starting Bank but it isn't necessary since they are Deep Cycle and not Starting type. There is although an advantage if you combine the banks for say dry-camping and they are much easier to install since they are lighter.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-09-2013, 03:04 PM
I have used 6 volt house batteries in an RV before with excellent success. First of all, most 8D batteries are not deep cycle and should not be expected to perform as well for boondocking as 6v in series. I have 6 big 8Ds in my coach and as soon as they show any sign of weakening, I am going to replace them with 12 golf cart batteries which fit into the same space. If I do much boondocking this summer, I may replace them sooner. There are central watering systems, which I have used, that have been designed to make it easy to fill all golf cart batteries at one time. I have not found a similar watering system for 8Ds. In my opinion, there is a no question that 12 6-volt deep cycle golf cart batteries will perform far superior when compared to the cheap 8D starter batteries. I think 12 golf cart batteries should be cheaper than 6 deep cycle 8D. It seems strange to me that Newell uses starting batteries for the house rather than deep cycle.

NEWELLWIZARD
06-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Chester I agree. :)

Randy J
06-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Batteries are expensive I learned that one early in the game. lol! I agree start fresh and worry less. Dave. it must be nice taking advantage of those discounts. :thumbsup:

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Dave-n-Marjorie, if it is not too late, my advise is to not buy 6 starter batteries, but to buy 12 deep cycle golf cart batteries. This advise is based on your objective of boondocking and my personal experience using both types.

The Newell
06-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Can't beat Lifeline AGM's for batteries. Make sure you are looking at true deep cycle batteries and CCA ratings are for cranking amps, not applicable for house batteries. Look for high reserve capacity and true deep cycle types. If you are replacing your starting batteries then you need to look at CCA's for starting capacity. AGM's are costly but they keep their charge up longer while boon docking or storage and they are totally maintenance free. I will point out one huge advantage of golf cart batteries over the 8D's is one person can lift the 67 pound Golf Cart Batteries, while the 120 pound monsters should be lifted with some sort of forklift. I don't know anyone who can lift a 8D anymore, I used to know someone but he was 6'5 and 300 pounds or better, and worked out.

Good luck and let us know what you decide,

Joseph

Dave-n-Marjorie
06-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Found out they are deep cycle. I have the specs. Each battery has 270 amp hours at 20 hours with a 390 minute reserve. I have six of them. CCA 1400 for my starting ones. I will be using them alot dry camping and driving. If I switch to 12 six volts, will I have more capacity??????

prairieschooner
06-10-2013, 02:03 AM
I still can, had to when I replaced the Starting Batteries.. 6'1" and don't want to admit what I weigh.

Can't beat Lifeline AGM's for batteries. Make sure you are looking at true deep cycle batteries and CCA ratings are for cranking amps, not applicable for house batteries. Look for high reserve capacity and true deep cycle types. If you are replacing your starting batteries then you need to look at CCA's for starting capacity. AGM's are costly but they keep their charge up longer while boon docking or storage and they are totally maintenance free. I will point out one huge advantage of golf cart batteries over the 8D's is one person can lift the 67 pound Golf Cart Batteries, while the 120 pound monsters should be lifted with some sort of forklift. I don't know anyone who can lift a 8D anymore, I used to know someone but he was 6'5 and 300 pounds or better, and worked out.

Good luck and let us know what you decide,

Joseph

folivier
06-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Hey Steve if you're starting to feel a bit weak I'll send you a bowl of Cindy's gumbo!

Twins
06-10-2013, 03:12 AM
You can send some our way! Jumbo is a favorite of mine.