PDA

View Full Version : Basement Air Control Boards

77newell
06-10-2013, 06:41 PM
My new to me 93 coach has basement A/Cs. I've read some about the boards burning up due to the high current loads going to the compressors and maybe the fan motors. I've been wonder if that is such a weak point has anyone considered putting an ac relay in the system between the boards and the motors. My systems are working great and I would like them to stay that way as long as possible.

GORDON HUMMEL
06-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Jon
The problem has usually been associated with loose connections. On mine there is a very small box on the compressor unit where the wires from the control box attach. Mine had 10Ga going from the chassis to this compressor connection box & with the other wires for the compressor & fan motor there is hardly room for the wire nuts. I had 12 GA going from the fuse panel to the control box, 12 GA going from the control box to a box by the compressor unit & the 10 GA from that box to the compressor. Because 10GA was so hard to work with & the limited room I changed the 10GA to 12 GA & it has stayed tight for 4 years.

77newell
06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Gordon: Thanks for the insight. With your new wiring setup is there any need to regularly check to see that the wire nuts stay tight?

folivier
06-11-2013, 02:05 PM
I always tape up the wire nuts to make sure they won't come loose.

GORDON HUMMEL
06-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I always tape up the wire nuts to make sure they won't come loose.

I can't believe tape would ever allow it to become loose.