PDA

View Full Version : GPS or Tablet for navigating?

folivier
06-14-2013, 02:40 AM
Thinking of getting a new GPS, not too satisfied with my Magellan. Only thing I like about it is the 7" screen.
Considering of getting the Garmin dezl 7" or maybe buying a Nexus 7" tablet with either Co-pilot software, or just using the built-in navigation. I would like to have the capability of height restrictions, turns, etc. on the tablet.
One other thing is why are gps's in landscape mode? Wouldn't it be better if they were in portrait mode? It would give you twice as much forward view of the map. Don't really need to see what's on either side as much as what's ahead of you. At least with a tablet and the right mount I could use it like that.
Anyone using a 7" tablet for navigating in the coach?

Yachts
06-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Tablet hands down.... Software is what makes GPS..

cdat
06-14-2013, 03:32 AM
I agree, tablet is the way to go. I use a tablet with both MS streets and Trips and a gps receiver. I use apps to plan with, height restrictions, truck stops, and rest stops.
John

prairieschooner
06-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Really Microsoft Streets and Trips? I tries that program a few years ago and was very disappointed but things do change. I may have to try and find the software and dust it off since I now have an Asus Tablet.

Update: I just had a chat with the Microsoft Store. The map updates are only until they come up with a newer version. This may be alright but since it is on sale who knows.

folivier
06-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Cindy has Streets & Trips 2013 on her laptop, got it for $20 around Christmas. I refuse to put it on anything I own after having it screw up my laptop and spending a couple weeks with a MS tech trying to get it to work. Ended up having to format my hdd after their fixes unfixed my laptop!
Cindy likes it but I won't let her get within 5' of my new macbook laptop :)

prairieschooner
06-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Same problems I found, guess we should look at Co-Pilot or a Garmin. I am leaning towards the Garmin just because I am familiar with the product, they are easy to use and include Lifetime Map Updates.

domer1970
06-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Rand McNally has a Motorhome-dedicated GPS app for the iPad. The same functionality is also available on their 7" GPS with WiFi updated maps, weather, and traffic.

prairieschooner
06-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Please delete this somehow it was double posted