PDA

View Full Version : Microscopic stress crack in oil pan.. Series 60

Yachts
06-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Can they be rewelded or patched if not does anyone have a source for one?

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Considering that there is little, if any, pressure in the oil pan, I wonder if JB Weld would seal it. There is also high heat epoxi that may work. Problem may be to get the crack clean enough.

Yachts
06-14-2013, 10:03 PM
I guess if I'm gonna replace it anyway might as well try the jb weld technique first.. Cant hurt at that point

Yachts
06-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I guess if I'm gonna replace it anyway might as well try the jb weld technique first.. Cant hurt at that point

rellick
06-14-2013, 11:44 PM
If the oil pan is off I recommend having it welded, cleanliness is important either way you go. If you plan on just getting by leaving it on, the jb or epoxy will probably do the job, but I wouln't trust it as a permanent fix. Before you buy a replacement take it to a competent weld shop for them to look at it. They probably won't do it with it on the coach. I have had success welding oil pans in the past usually beacuse of a hole. After its welded I like to leave it full of water for a while to make sure it doesn't leak.

Yachts
06-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Ok I can get a used pan for 100, or a new pan for 650... If I go used, the Detroit dealer won't warranty the work.. Gonna charge 300 plus filter and oil plus of course pan and gasket..

so new or used what say ye all?

rellick
06-18-2013, 08:11 PM
So they won't warranty the pan but they should warranty the install, if the pan cracks no warranty? If it leaks from the gasket they will?

rellick
06-18-2013, 08:16 PM
I don't know if these pans are notorious for cracking, if they are I would go new, if not and the crack was from something else I would go used, just my 2 cents

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-18-2013, 10:27 PM
I would go used or repair the existing one.

Newell Attack
06-19-2013, 01:25 AM
remove the oil pan and then clean it real good so that JB weld will stick to that crack your talking about and weld it shut that is what JB weld is a way to weld with it without using arch welder but the pan has to be real clean of any oils or it will not stick

prairieschooner
06-19-2013, 07:44 PM
When I was Welding I would drill a hole at each end of the crack to stop it from continuing and then do the welding.

larryweikart
06-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I patched a crack in my radiator reserve tank with JB weld about 5 years ago, and it's been fine ever since, and that's under considerable pressure. Great stuff We used the liquid JB as it will crawl into the crack. Good Luck.

Yachts
06-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Ok we are welding the pan.. The chief mechanic says that's what he would do if it was his coach..cost to weld 225 new pan 650.. So I am risking 900 to save 400.. Hope he is right.. We will know more tomorrow:)

NewellCrazy
06-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Ok we are welding the pan.. The chief mechanic says that's what he would do if it was his coach..cost to weld 225 new pan 650.. So I am risking 900 to save 400.. Hope he is right.. We will know more tomorrow:)

Keep us posted!

prairieschooner
06-26-2013, 01:55 AM
I would do the same thing if it were me. Sincerely just make sure that they Drill the Ends of the Crack, this will ensure that the Crack does not Migrate after Welding, I'm sure that they know.

rellick
06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
If it was mine I would weld it myself, didn't you say you could get a used one for a hundred? IMHO that would make more sense rather than pay 225 to have it welded?

Yachts
06-26-2013, 03:33 PM
The one for 100 when I went to get it was not a low profile .. No one has one:(

Neweller
06-26-2013, 03:44 PM
I concur with all the guys about welding it. I have welded and have had welded multiple pans over the year and maybe once had one later crack further, but then I learned what Steve mentioned about drilling and never a problem again. My brother was the JB Weld king and usually opted for that route. You can surely see why they need to be low-profile, or people would be taking half of it off driving over stuff. ouch! The only issue with welding, would be cosmetics, but if done right that too can be cleaned up. Marc, you got a 30k discount on that sweet ride, so you should be good to go anyway you look at it. lol!

Yachts
06-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Yeah we got a great deal and when I see how all of the no slide coaches have evaporated I think mine maybe was 30k cheap.. It all depends on what coaches with slides do..if they stay 135 and up I agree I'm 110 but if they drop mine will to.. I always feel I'm 20k less than a coach with slides. But mine is in pristine shape and I have some nice features many with slides don't.. Can I tell you how nice Gerard awnings are all the way around... So nice to adjust the coverage of the windows according to the time of day from inside:)