PDA

View Full Version : Basement AC rescue

TheCarabiners
09-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Well, I have just replaced our third and last AC motor in the basement. I bought 2 replacement motors from Newell, but neither held up past a month. I went on a mission to find a replacement and found one. We have Dometic basement units. Here is a pic of the old motor and the label to the box of the new one. There is also a pic of the problem; the bushings. I found this motor with ball bearings in it. The new motor has 7 wires, but the old has only 3. I have a pic of the wiring as well. The Brown from old is removed or capped off. It is not needed because the new motor has a capacitor with it. The Black, Blue, and Purple go to the BLACK from the AC. The Yellow, Orange, and Red from the new motor are wire nutted together. The White goes to the White. We have used the first replacement for over a year now and it is still going strong. We spend a lot of time out west in 100 degrees plus and the units run 24/7. I hope the pics upload well enough. If you are having problems with the bushing-style old motors, I strongly urge you you consider replacing the motor. They are almost half-price too!! Interestingly enough, the new motor is a Rescue motor! ...............................................Can 't get the pics to upload. Will try another time.

TheCarabiners
09-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Pics. Old and New 4503 The problem4504 Worn out bushings.45054506 Hooked up4507
These motors are quiet and strong. If yours goes out, consider these. We are very happy with them.

folivier
09-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Fantastic job! Everyone with a Dometic basement air will be glad to know there is a replacement.

larryweikart
09-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the great post and pics. I'm about to dive in to a/c #2, of 4, They have been a constant problem. Thankful that we normally only need 2 to cool things down.

stewart33
09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
I agree this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing and glad you got the photos posted up. :thumbsup:

TheCarabiners
09-06-2013, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the great post and pics. I'm about to dive in to a/c #2, of 4, They have been a constant problem. Thankful that we normally only need 2 to cool things down.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I don't it all, but I have done A LOT on these AC's. These motors are great. You won't believe my temporary control box fix!! It works till I find the right part...but that is another issue.

Neweller
09-06-2013, 01:14 PM
This is really great info, thank you for sharing. :thumbup: This is a huge reason why many are afraid of the basement air systems in the Newell's. But I'm starting to feel better about this area myself with more viable repair information coming to fruition.

NewellCrazy
09-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Awesome job, Great Pics! I'm sure it will help many people.

Sean

Austinswalk
10-29-2016, 12:23 AM
Hi,
Have a 1991 newell and my front fan motor is out that cools my basement unit. Think my fan motors are different but wondering if these may work on mine? Could not make out the brand or model in the picture when I blow up.