PDA

View Full Version : Electric Brakes on Trailer

VinceD
09-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding hauling a trailer with electric brakes. Does anyone know if the 2002 newells came standard with the ability to operate electric trailer brakes? I would like to purchase a trailer to haul behind my newell. Thank you in advance.

rellick
09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Vince, if you have one there should be a brake controller up near the dash usually under the steering column, small black box with adjustment on it, unless they had a built in one, Newell would know for sure. Good luck, happy travells!

hotrodhornet
09-23-2013, 09:39 PM
i put one on my 1981 years ago. It uses brake air pressure converted to a electrical signal, just took it off of the 81 and moved it to the 1994. it is pretty easy to hook up, it needs a 12+, a ground then using a spare wire under the passenger side dash you run it to the trailer light connector, on the 94 there is a big blue wire that looks like it was meant to be used for trailer brakes.

chockwald
09-24-2013, 11:42 PM
For my '82 Newell I installed a Prodigy brake controller. Works great, easy to install. I had to wire it up myself, but if you already have a jack, or plug in front, you just plug it in and use it. I also installed one on my Ford Expedition, which had the plug already installed since I have the towing package. I use the Expedition to move my trailer around when home.