PDA

View Full Version : Using Garmin for backup camera monitor/speedometer

sherikoska
10-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Our Sony camera monitor (1994 SSM 721 AMR) stopped working after having a shopTRY (and fail) to fix the passenger wiper motor, so I'm guessing something is just loose, but we are probably just going to replace it. Our speedometer also only works when it feels like it so I'm assuming it's a grounding issue. We are also looking at the Garmin gps systems, and I'm wondering if anyone has put one in and used it for a monitor on the backup camera as well as a speedometer? This seems like it would be the easiest fix for everything if it's feasible. We are not at all techy peeps! B-)

rellick
10-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Welcome to LCL sherikoska!:welcome: I understand your frustration, it does take some time to get used to how everything works on a Newell , it can be a real learning curve!! I would try and have your wiring issue fixed, if it is just some loose wires it may cause more "gremlins" later on down the road. It sounds like someone my have been up under the dash and bumped some wires. Grounds are a good thing to check also, they can be troublesome. With your wiper motor it could be your switch, fuse, loose wire or ground. If the shop you had look at it doesnt seem compitent it would be a good idea to get someone that knows how to troubleshoot wiring check it over.
Upgrading your back-up cam to a gps system would be nice rather than a replacement camara but I would still look in to your wiring issue, sometimes its as easy as a loose connecter or ground, just a matter of finding it:banghead:

77newell
10-04-2013, 03:34 PM
sherikoska:I'm guessing your coach is a 1994 based upon that number appearing as part of the Sony number. Yeah, I would concur with your assessment that you monitor problem is a "since-U" problem. Since you worked on that this stopped working. Finding your way to the back of the monitor and tightening the connections would be my first gambit. The other approach there would be to assure that both power and ground are available at the monitor, loss of either will kill it's operation.

Regarding your speedo, my 93 has electronic internals and can fail internally in ways that duplicate your symptoms, but again if it started doing this when the wipers were worked on then either the wires on the back have become loose or the ground is insecure. My speedo gets a pulse signal from the transmission computer and a weak contact could cause missed pulses. As far as I could find so far the signal wire runs direct from the computer to the speedo so if connection is a problem it is likely only at the ends. BTW a replacement speedo was less than 200 dollars and only a little easy programming was needed. So if this problem predated the wiper work it is probably the speedo, if coincidental to that work it is probably the connections on the back of the speedo.

Regarding the wipers, I haven't had to get into them since they are still going flippy floppy and I hope they continue that way for a long time.

folivier
10-04-2013, 04:07 PM
I like a separate rear view camera since I leave it on to keep an eye on my toad.
BTW my Sony camera is giving me problems also so I intend to replace it this winter, probably with one from Rear View Safety and use this monitor:
Ford backup camera systems (http://www.rearviewsafety.com/catalog/product/view/id/88/)
That will put it more in line with my scanning while I drive. Now the monitor is at the bottom of the console near the floor. Not easy to see.

sherikoska
10-04-2013, 07:33 PM
The coach is a 95. The monitor was fine when we test drove it but went gray after having the dealer work on other issues. (In their defense, they work on semis so I'm sure much of this Newell stuff is foreign to them. Tbey were working on the passenger wiper and AC units). We checked all wires to the monitor and they were fine, the screen was lit up but no pic, and then wben I put the splice clip back together I got zapped a little and now the screen is black but flashes when turned on. We have checked many wires and haven't found any loose or bad ones (yet!) Watching the toad separately probably is a good idea though. BTW, we are looking for a newer Jeep Wrangler for a toad if anyone is selling. Currently using Avalanche but it's overkill and not as much fun. As for the wipers, driver's side works fine. Thanks to everyone for all help and suggestions! I think I've read almost every post on this site and feel like I've gone back to school. Hopefully I'll graduate soon! How complicated is it to just take out the entire dash? I'd love to see the hands on the Newell shop guys, as I have a helluva time getting mine up in there! Lol! Working on this coach makes me crave Bud Light B-)

folivier
10-04-2013, 08:25 PM
One suggestion, your monitor may have 2 inputs. My Sony went out and I was able to move the camera cable to the other input on back of monitor and it works. I had to select the other I put with a button on monitor.

sherikoska
10-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks Forest! The monitor does have two inputs and I tried that but didn't help. I think in the long run it might be best to remove the dash and check EVERYTHING. Who knows what we may muck up in the process but it's one way to get to know it.

ccjohnson
10-05-2013, 02:09 AM
I have gotten in the habit of taking a lot of digital pictures when working on anything with wires. Also label each wire if possible when disconnecting. Between these 2 things I get stuff back together the right way a lot easier. Also a pic e-mailed to Newell tech support can speed up your helpful answers from them.