PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Slide covers

renewell
12-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I took some pictures today to show how well they fit. These are the new Carefree "Ascent"

Yachts
12-07-2013, 08:35 PM
How much do they run?

afrench45
12-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Those look good. Deffinetely would help when pulling in the slides when it is raining or snowing.

folivier
12-07-2013, 10:19 PM
I have Zipdee slide covers on my '98. They do a pretty good job of keep water or leaves off of the slide roof. But in a strong wind I find that they do flap some.
Curious to see how these work out.

renewell
12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I paid $ 1,450.00 with freight. You could probably do better. I ordered through a dealer. Also, fabric was an expensive option. Most come in vinyl.

renewell
12-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Forest;
I haven't had the chance yet to evaluate them under windy conditions. If any problems, I will post.
Thanks, Ray

Yachts
12-09-2013, 02:08 AM
Was that the cost per slide?

Dmatz
12-10-2013, 01:14 AM
They look really good. You made a great choice match well. Not sure why Newell dies not place slide awnings or covers over their slides.

renewell
12-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Doug;
When I asked that question of Newell, I was told they had problems in the past with the old style covers that had to be locked. Apparently people forgot to unlock them and did damage to the coach, awning, or both. They said they experimented with a "wiper" that worked for a while but not very well. One would think that with today's offerings it would be a no brainer to include protection on the new coaches, but who are we to question Newell?

Yachts
12-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I have the old style ones that lock.. I have never locked them.. I am trying to figure out why you would..

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
12-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Yachts, several years ago I faced a 50 MPH wind, plus my speed, and all of the unlocked awnings blew out. From then on I locked them for sure.

Dmatz
12-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I am going to ask engineering at Newell this question and see what the reasons for this is!

afrench45
12-11-2013, 01:32 AM
I think a lot of it has to be the aesthetically pleasing to the eye aspect. They go for the "seamless" and "flush" mounted look for the slides.

Yachts
12-11-2013, 01:43 AM
I lock them from the widows down but not the center lock for the toppers

MarkofSJC
12-13-2013, 12:56 AM
Doug;
When I asked that question of Newell, I was told they had problems in the past with the old style covers that had to be locked. Apparently people forgot to unlock them and did damage to the coach, awning, or both. They said they experimented with a "wiper" that worked for a while but not very well. One would think that with today's offerings it would be a no brainer to include protection on the new coaches, but who are we to question Newell?

IMO Slide toppers are a royal pain! In moderate to high winds, their flapping forces you to bring your slides in...making sleep arrangements impossible. They're also the first thing to wear, rip or weather as they stay deployed anytime the slides are out. The Pneumatic sealing element that current Newell designs offer provides much better protection, and no worries about rain, snow or freezing weather preventing you from bringing in your slides!