PDA

View Full Version : Mach 5 Headhunter water pump

TechTalk
09-14-2003, 02:26 PM
We suspect that a pressure switch may be out of adjustment or some other similar problem. We have found the 120 volt Headhunter pump (run through the inverter) to be far superior to the typical 12 volt RV water pumps. The reliability of the 12 volt pumps was always a problem, with short time failures common if the pumps were used for high volume applications, such as to fill a clothes washer or bathtub. In addition, the Headhunter pumps are designed to be used full time. This includes while connected to shore water, when the Headhunter pump acts to increase or decrease water pressure to the set point. Irratic water pressure complaints are not typical with the Headhunter pumps, and therefore we suspect a problem that can be fixed.

NewellCrazy
02-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Figured I'd share some Mach5 Headhunter water pump configuration pictures for reference.

Sean

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I replaced my Headhunter with a 110 volt Shurflo because the top fitting leaked water into the electrical control panel on top of the pump. I think this is a design flaw. The two Shurflo pumps supply all of the water pressure in need.

Stylin Monster
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Chester - You have my attention since mine appears to have a little seepage as well. What model Sureflo pump did you replace the Headhunter pump with? I would love to make some friendly comparisons. Was it a pretty close connect and fit or is there changes to made? Much appreciation, thx.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
02-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Attached is a photo of my installation. The Shurflo 110v and 12v are basically the same pumps. I also mounted a bladder below the pump.3279

Gone Busing
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Chester, this is interesting. We do not have a 110v pump in our coach and only have the Shurflo 12v. We have thought about adding one for the same reason others have in worrying about running the smaller 12v too constant and possibly burning the pump out sooner. Is that why the Headhunter is so large looking because it has a blatter inside as well?

Ground Control
02-02-2013, 06:28 PM
We have also had the Headhunter pump in our previous coach and it lasted for a very long time without any problems. Now the coach we are currently checking out and thinking of purchasing, the pump recently went out. We are currently running off of the 12 volt until I get it back to the dealer this week down here in south Florida.

Not sure if ours is a repairable problem or the whole unit is shot. Depending on how all goes and maybe some additional opinions or references here, we may choose an alternative and have the dealer upgrade it.

I've always appreciated all the great information this board continues to bring.

folivier
02-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Hey Ground Control what part of Florida are you?
We just pulled into Silver Springs for a week or so.

Ground Control
02-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Hi Forest and Cindy, we are staying down here just south of Naples at Everglades Isle. First time here and think it's a great place. Enjoyed a fun little airboat tour, had lunch and have been reading on this wonderful site for the past couple hours.

pyledriver
02-03-2013, 03:47 PM
What a difference in the way the two coach compartments above are arranged. I mean the plumbing. The hoses look like a bowl of spaghetti and the other more uniformed. Are both of these factory configurations or have there been changes made? Don't get me wrong or anything as I'm not knocking what has been done, but just curious. It could just be the way the close up picture appears.