PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove paint from the exterior

The Newell
02-29-2008, 06:08 AM
What is the best way to remove paint from the exterior surface of a Barth? I've been told that sandblasting will create too much heat and warp the aluminum. I've been told that even media blasting using the plastic beads will produce a pitted surface that would be fine if you're going to paint it but I'm not. I'm going to polish it like an Airstream. I've used the plastic pads that body shops use and they leave scratches

ikcandco
02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
- Hi Joseph
- Why not 'Paint Remover ?'. . There are so many new products out there.
------------------
May God Bless
KC ~ 1999r What's this?

Richard and Rhonda
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Have you tried "Aircraft" paint stripper. That's a brand available at most body shops. Wicked stuff, please be careful.

fulltiming
02-29-2008, 05:15 PM
As Richard pointed out, I found that aircraft aluminum products worked extremely well on my Airstream. I would think that they would work equally well on your Barth.

The Newell
03-01-2008, 04:54 AM
As Richard pointed out, I found that aircraft aluminum products worked extremely well on my Airstream. I would think that they would work equally well on your Barth.

Thank you to everyone that replied,

I will give it a go with the aircraft stuff, I figure I will try it first on my Barth that I recently acquired from a family member and if it works out I will do my Newell Classic next. I figure the barth is in need of a paint job so what a perfect donor. :D :D

ikcandco
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
<«»> Richard and Michael gave the accurate way to go.
<«»> I'd never peeled paint from aluminum before and 'Aircraft' paint stripper guided me to a lot
of info and shall retain.

<«»> I search for aluminum paint remover based on environmentally safe, non hazardous, and
biodegradable.

<«»> I've started to read and get info about this 'Aircraft' stuff and Molecular-Tech Coatings Inc.
seem to make it their area of expertise :
EFS-2500 is especially formulated for the Aerospace, Aviation, Marine, Automotive, Military, and
Building Restoration industries. Some industry uses include aircraft and helicopter paint stripping,
military vehicles, trains, boats, graffiti, buildings, dip tanks, and others.

<«»> These links might help :
<«»> Aluminum EFS-2500 - Environmentally Friendly Paint Stripper CLICK HERE (http://www.m-tc.com/paint_stripper/aluminum_paint_stripper.htm)

<«»> Here you'll find a complete page on their EFS-2500 Environmentally Friendly Paint Stripper -
Remover CLICK HERE (http://www.m-tc.com/efs2500_home.htm) corrosion ~ info ~ comparison ~slideshows & FAQ
------------------
May God Bless
KC ~ 1999r2 What's this?

Richard and Rhonda
03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Nice work KC