PDA

View Full Version : Steering Gear Box

GORDON HUMMEL
03-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm the prowd new owner of #266 1991 Newell. I am in need of the part # for the steering gear box. At this point Newell is unable to provide this information. I deal with TRW & Sheppard in my business, but I can not identify this box without removing it. I am a fulltimer, so I want to have a replacement before the old one is removed.

Thanks

Gordon

fulltiming
03-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Welcome Gordon and congratulations on your 'new' Newell. I am very pleased to have another fulltimer here.

I fully understand the desire to have the steering gear box on hand before starting the replacement process. Unfortunately I have nothing in my files that gives a number for that part. I am a little surprised that Newell was not able to help on that one. I have been lucky to have Newell provide either the part or part information on so many parts that most RV manufacturers would have not been able to provide.

I will be happy to check for a number on mine but if it isn't obtainable without removal, I will be out of luck.

I will crawl under the front of my coach in the morning and check.

fulltiming
03-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Gordon, I crawled under my coach this morning and that number is in a hard place to get to but I was able to stick my camera up in there and get a photo of the drivers side of the gear box. On my 1992, the steering gear box is a Ross HFB702888.

Click HERE (http://products.powersteerinc.com/onlinecms/powerst/jsp/PS_product.jsp?categoryId=3&subCategoryId=5&type=Gear%20Boxes%20-%20ROSS%20-TRW) for some info on the Ross/TRW gearboxes including the HFB70 series.

Hope that helps.

GORDON HUMMEL
03-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Michael, thank you for the extraordinary effort. Turns out that part # is a casting #. After discussions with people in the industry, I was able to find the # 381 stamped in the bottom cover of my unit. That make the actual part # HBF70381. I'm doing a little more home work before I order the part.
Again
Thanks
Gordon