PDA

View Full Version : Paint Peeling

John Shoni
03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I have an 82 Newell with brown paint on the stripes. For some reason the paint came off an area about a foot and a half in diameter. We had some zero temps, but that shouldn't cause it, I think. Any suggestions? Does this call for complete removal and repaint?

Thank You in advance,

John Shoni

fulltiming
03-07-2008, 06:02 PM
John, I agree that zero degree temperatures should not cause the paint to peel. The major reasons for paint peeling on an aluminum coach are 1) contamination/inadequate prep prior to painting 2) electrolysis causing the paint to blister and peel off and 3) the expansion and contraction of the aluminum near a riveted seam. I don't think I have seen an original Newell Coach paint job affected by #1 but certainly over an extended period of time #2 and #3 can affect the paint. If the coach has been repainted, #1 is certainly a possibility.

To really fix the problem, it would be a good idea to make sure all the edges are peeled off then tapered down, go down to the aluminum and clean it thoroughly with Aircraft stripper and cleaner. The repaint the affected area with multiple coats of matching paint after using a good aircraft quality primer. Blending the paint into the existing paint is not easy unless you have had a lot of experience.