PDA

View Full Version : Rivet Head Problem

Bob Ferree
03-27-2008, 07:34 AM
I have a 1976 Newell and also am experiencing rivit problems. Cherry Cap ???? I bite what and where is it ?

fulltiming
03-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Cherry is a brand of rivets made for the aerospace industry. They have now changed their name to Cherry Aerospace. Buck rivets are frequently used in the construction of metal aircraft and coaches. These require access to both sides of the rivet. A bucking bar is placed on the inside of the rivet and a rivet gun is used on the outside to drive the rivet home. This method will not work once the inside is no longer accessible. Therefore typically rivets that fail are replaced with blind rivets. Blind or pop rivets, which can be installed without access to both sides, typically leave a hole in the end of the rivet after installation. A cap is available to dress up the end of the blind rivet making it look like a buck rivet (i.e. a nice rounded head). Therefore, these caps are frequently called cherry caps.

Now, aren't you sorry you asked. Seriously, what kind a problem are you experiencing?

77newell
05-24-2011, 07:15 PM
The caps are no longer available according the folks at Newell. I've just ordered some 1/8" Cherrymax blind rivets (4-4 size as I recall) to try replacing some broken rivets. These rivets can be pulled with a standard "Pop" rivet gun. Because of the rivet design they do not end up hollow and will appear almost identical to the originals, they also don't need to be covered or sealed to prevent water entry. I purchased these rivets from Aircraft Spruce. They are expensive 50-65 cents a piece but look and hold better than "Pop" rivets. I will let you know how it works out after I install them and make a few trips.

Jon
77 Newell 35'
07 Civic toad

my38special
05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Before buying my Newell Classic, I was the proud owner of an Airstream trailer. During this season in my RV life, I learned about Olympic Rivets. Since moving up to the Newell world, I've incorporated this knowledge to replace numerous rivets on my bus. Although they go on like a pop-rivet, if you buy the (rather expensive) shaving tool, as I did, you end up with a rivet head that is truly almost impossible to tell from a "real" rivet. I bought mine from the following link; however, I'm sure you could find these parts elsewhere: http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Olympic_Rivets_p/vts-179.htm
Good luck with your rivet repairs. Most of us have been there.

- Pat