PDA

View Full Version : Repairing corrosive damage to paint

Richard and Rhonda
04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Ok, I can't be the only one with a few areas where the paint is bubbling due to the corrosive electrolysis underneath the paint.

The question is have you repaired this or had it repaired? What primer did you use? Did you use Imron as the final coat or something else?

I am not really looking for a generic how to spot repair. I have painted cars, and I have all the guns, air brushes, and equipment necessary to do a semi pro job.

I am looking for specifics on what was done, such as brand of primer, alternate paints, and how well has it held up.

Thanks for any info you are willing to share.

HoosierDaddy
04-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Hi Richard,
I asked this same question several years ago on the Newell Coach bulletin board. One responder mentioned a spray corrosion inhibitor that they use on aircraft. His recommendation was to replace the corroded metal and spray the corrosion inhibitor on the inside. I am replacing metal and using an etching primer.

Richard and Rhonda
04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I contacted an outfit here in Fort Worth that sells finishes to Lockheed and Boeing. The guy fixed me up with an aluminum cleaner, primer, and some Imron. I'll take some pictures of the repair process and post them when I do the work.

Bryon Raymond
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
If anyone out there gets their hands on some Imron paint to do their own touch-up work, just be sure to heed the precautionary data and wear the correct respirator. Breathing the fumes is DEADLY!!