PDA

View Full Version : 12.5 KW Kohler Generator: How do I increase AC voltage?

The Newell
05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
The one on the drivers side will put out 120 volts.

The one on the passengers side only puts out 102 volts. When I increase the RPM's the voltage goes down.

Any thoughts? How does one go about increasing the AC voltage on a generator? I thought the speed increase would have helped.

BTW - I ran both AC units, turned on all of the 120v lights to see if the load would cause the Kohler to choke. It didn't miss a beat and kept putting out 102v. I only did this for 30 seconds as lower voltage will increase the amp draw of and could burn out an AC motor.

Richard and Rhonda
05-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Joseph,

This is indicative of a problem with the generator control circuits, or the windings themselves. The engines that drive the generators are governed at a certain speed to produce the 60 Hz alternating current. If you have played with the speed then you will need to adjust it back to get 60 hz.

Can you be more specific about the brand and model of genny.

fulltiming
05-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Joseph, what are you basing the 102 volt reading on? If that is the reading on the voltage over the driver, you might also confirm that with a VOM to make sure the built in meter is working correctly. Does that meter show about 120 volts on that leg when the coach is plugged into shore power? Have you checked the frequency (Hz) of each of the two legs?

If the voltage is truly 102 volts on one leg, Richard is correct and you likely have a problem with the windings in the generator. The voltage should be VERY close between the two legs on power produced by the genset.