PDA

View Full Version : IR repeater

encantotom
07-02-2008, 06:06 AM
hi

along with all my av upgrades i put in a buffalo technology IR repeating system. it uses cat5 and emitters and receivers and a power block. this is so i dont have to have the cabinents open to operate the devices. i put the receiver eye for the front at the bottom right hand corner of the front upper cabinent above the passenger. the rear is right below the tv on the passenger side.

to my dissappointment, they didnt work. the feedback light (that shows when it is receiving an IR signal from a remote) was always on without using any remote. it ends up that the motorhome is a IR collector. the floursecent lights being the worst culprits. so, here is a simple trick. i made an IR filter by cutting a dime size piece of the silver translucent bag that a computer circuit card comes in for antistatic reasons. i inserted that in the receiver behind the plastic clear cover and walla, it works great now.

it is an inexpensive system, costing me under a hundred bucks if i recall.

tom

fulltiming
07-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Great save Tom. I am using an RF to IR converter to accomplish a similar result.

chockwald
07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
In my case the cabinet doors have smoked glass inserts so I just placed the devices in the cabinets so that they are in that "window" and the remotes work great! I stacked the DVD player and DirecTV receiver so they both work off the remotes through the smoked glass. I have an LCD TV in the bedroom, too, and it will receive the same station the front TV does, but, remarkably, my remote is able to control the DirecTV receiver while in bed...that's about 33 feet...I was surprised.

encantotom
07-03-2008, 03:33 AM
there are many ways to skin the IR cat. michaels way is really cool too.

it is cool to see different ways to do the same thing.

later

tom