PDA

View Full Version : Roof coating

encantotom
08-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

i think this winter i will recoat the roof on the newell. what is on there now is grey. does anyone know what newell puts on the roof as a coating and where to get it? there is always the snow white elastomaric coating they put on mobile homes and patios, but i would like to know what was used and is used now.

thanks

tom

HoosierDaddy
08-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Tom,
My 78 has silver paint over the whole roof. My 93 has silver on just the top corners that are visible from the ground then white that appears to be factory applied on top. My thinking is that whatever is applied should be as smooth as possible. The fewer places for dirt/dust to accumulate the less dirt streaking down the side when it rains.
Dean

Richard and Rhonda
08-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Tom,

Mine is painted with the same Imron as the sides of the rig.

chockwald
08-31-2008, 02:43 AM
Mine is also painted with the same Imron as on the sides......no leaks ever.....so far.

fulltiming
08-31-2008, 03:32 AM
Mine is the same grey as Tom's. It feels a little rougher than the white Imron on my coach. I may give Newell a call on Tuesday and ask what they used and what they would recommend now.

Wally Arntzen
08-31-2008, 05:01 AM
Tom,

My 88 is painted with the same paint that is on the rest of the coach. I'm curious as to why you want to do something with your roof. Is it leaking or some other problem.
I think you have to much time on your hands now that your all done with the big project you did recently and you need need to do something.

Keep at it my friend, Wally

encantotom
08-31-2008, 07:58 PM
hey, i am a preventative maintainence kinda guy. just though after all these years i might need to recoat it.

i have my list of 30 things i want to do after my 2 month shakedown. including the new headlights that michael and richard did, a 42" tv for one of the bays, and a bunch of little stuff. i am going to put a misting system around the radiator to give some additional cooling when pulling steep grades. i have talked to several people that have done that and they say it helps alot. i have put in stainless misting systems before and have all the bending tools. i just have to find a way to get the tubing from the water tank/plumbing bay back to the engine compartment. i have a 12v solenoid operated water valve i found and will put a switch up on the dash. probably about 8 or so misting heads.

thanks

tom

chockwald
08-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Would love to see the details of the installation of the misters, along with your usual great pictures when it's done. I think that is something I would definitely be interested in doing to mine, also.