PDA

View Full Version : Crack in Aluminum?!!!

Newell Attack
08-10-2006, 08:33 PM
I have developed a crack in the aluminum siding of my Newell. The crack runs from the upper corner of the entrance door towards the point where the roof meets the side. It looks to be just an inch or so shy of reaching the roof. My guess is that it's through traveling and is as long as it going to get. It's about 6 inches long, slightly jagged, and about an eighth of an inch wide. My concern is primarily the water damage that could occur if I don't address the problem. I know that to properly repair this I would have to reskin the entire side of the trailer, but that's not a real option for me. I'm looking to fix the problem without going to those lengths. One idea I've had is to tape the crack with Eternabond tape. It's permanant and paintable. Do you have any comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

fulltiming
08-12-2006, 01:20 AM
Jeff, aluminum can be tricky to work with. The Eternabond should stop any water intrusion but it is thick enough that it will certainly show and will not add any structural support. I would suggest you contact Newell and and ask if they have any idea what might be the cause of the crack and their suggestions for a more permanent solution short of reskinning the entire sidewall.