PDA

View Full Version : Entrance door repair

HoosierDaddy
11-01-2008, 05:18 PM
My '93 was vandalized before I purchased it. The vandals attempted to pry the door open. It appears they were unsuccessful but their prying on the edge of the door caused the outer skin to become seperated from the aluminum perimeter. Newell had bonded it with a double sided sticky "tape" (elastobond?). I'm trying to repair the door w/o removing it. I've removed all of the tape from the perimeter (except for the hinge side which appears to be sound)and am trying to effect a repair. As I see it my options are:
1. Round head rivets... I could learn how ...Cant find the tools. There's not enough space on the back side for "pop" rivets...I need something somewhat flush to the surface since a new door seal will have to be installed over the fastener head.
2. Find some more of that "tape" and try to slide it in between (not an easy solution, I only have about 1/4" between the two frame pieces to work with.
3. Construction adhesive. Possibly the best solution...squirt it in the crack and clamp it.
I'm wondering if anybody has any other solution or could suggest a proper adhesive for aluminum/aluminum bonding.

Thanks,
Dean