PDA

View Full Version : Mini Rally

tuga
11-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Would anyone be interested in attending a mini rally at Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville, TX? I was just thinking that it would be fun to get together and talk "Newell". And it would give us an opportunity to connect faces with the names. I for one would really like to meet you guys. So, what do you say?

Mikeh
11-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Count me in. Mike Haddox

tuga
11-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Great Mike, Karen and I look forward to meeting you and your wife. What do you think about this coming spring? The blue bonnets are beautiful in the spring and the temperatures are delightful - cool at night and sunny during the days.

I have a friend in Carencro, LA who is considering the rally also. So it looks like we have the beginning of a mini rally!

Mikeh
11-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Spring sounds good.

fulltiming
11-17-2008, 06:17 AM
As things start to jell, keep me in the loop and Georgia and I will try to attend.

Richard and Rhonda
11-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Tuga,

Most definitely we would love to meet in Kerrville. And if you can get your "friend" in Carencro to come, he can see his old coach.

Thank you so much for setting this up.

Since we have kids in school, let me consult with my social director for possible dates that would work best for us.

tuga
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Michael,

It is starting to look pretty good! Somebody suggest some dates in April. I'm thinking about 4 days more or less; that way the guys who drive long distances (Michael & Georgia) can justify the trip a little better.

Richard,

I didn't know that you knew Arnold. He's a great guy, I've been knowing him for years. He was responsible for me buying my first Newell. Dave Prince recommended that I contact him since he lived so close to me. I drove to his house; he offered to let me drive his 1985 Newell, and I was hooked.

chockwald
11-17-2008, 07:38 PM
April would work for us as we will be travelling to Tyler, TX for a family wedding in April, also, and we were talking about making it a longer trip in the Newell! I'm checking with my wife on the date of the wedding, so we can attend the mini-rally. I'll post that date later today when she gets home and can confirm the date of the wedding.

chockwald
11-17-2008, 08:21 PM
OK...the family wedding in Tyler is April 18 (Saturday), and we will probably be in that area a day before and after that, so if you can set the dates for the rally before, or after that it will work for us!

Richard and Rhonda
11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Tuga,

I bought my coach from Arnold. His lovely bride fed me gumbo, and he provided cold refreshments, and we had a deal :-)

He also told me the story of you coming to his house to drive a Newell.

tuga
11-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Well it looks like we are getting close to a rally. Would April 12-16 be o.k.? If anybody has any conflicts just say so. I think these dates would give Clarke time to get to the family wedding in Tyler (365 miles about 6 hrs) on Friday.

Richard, you really made a good deal: a Newell and good cajun food!

What do you guys think of having a little mechanic's corner: demo on how to fix something that broke on your coach and you fixed it yourself. I've seen these done in another RV group, and it is really nice. Some other ideas maybe would be to have a representatvie from a tire company or Aqua Hot come to our rally and talk to us about their product. Maybe it would be better to see if we get 50 or so coaches before we do this; I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I'm excited!

What about costs? I was thinking that each person could make his own reservations at Buckhorn and pay for his site rent for the 4 or 5 nights. Then, we could do a pot luck supper on Sunday night. If each coach brings a covered dish or desert we could enjoy a good meal after a day of driving. I guess we will just play it by ear!

It seems that someone posted about seeing what dates their kids would be out of school but I can't find the post. Was I dreaming? I re-read the posts and I can't find it!

encantotom
11-18-2008, 12:48 AM
i will have to check my spring calendar, but it does sound interesting. if representatives are brought in, they would need to apply to most of the vintages of coaches since we all cover a broad range of years.

tom

Richard and Rhonda
11-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Tuga,

The 12 to 16 works for us, but we would be there primarily on the 11 and 12, since I and the kids would have to be back to reality on the 13. But still that would give us a chance to meet and greet on Sunday.

I am ok with making my own reservations. I don't know if they have a rally rate or not, but as this thing firms up, we should definitely inquire at the resort.

Let's see for demos......Tom could show how to completely remodel an interior, Michael could show us his system for keeping track of all that information, and well, I could show someone how to make a complete mess.

I would be up for doing a group cook at least one night.

tuga
11-18-2008, 01:32 AM
That's a good point Tom; I didn't realize the range of vintages that we have. Thanks for pointing that out.

Richard,

Would the 11 - 15 be better? We can make the dates anything that we need them to be. How do the rest of you guys feel about the dates?

The group cook out is a great idea to do one night. Buckhorn has an outdoor BBQ pit & seating area that we could use. We could each bring a meat and cook it right there. My wife suggested that we could go out to eat one night in Kerrville. All good ideas.

HoosierDaddy
11-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Great idea! I would love to come....I'm 1400 miles away and work in agriculture. Really busy in the spring.....
Dean

Maybe a Northern rally in the fall in the future?

larrynjeri
11-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Sounds like fun>  We will be on the way to Indy, that would work for us.  Have to find Kerrville, Tx on GPS.

chockwald
11-18-2008, 05:54 AM
The 11th-15th, or 12th to 16th work for us.....We'll need to be in Tyler by the 17th, and it's just under 400 miles, so no problem.....

Wally Arntzen
11-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Tuga,

If you want to bring in venders why not call Newell and get it right from the guys that built our coaches. They may have an interest in being part of an event like this and maybee they,d bring a couple of used coaches that are for sale and would be available for purchase.

You have a good idea and looks like a lot of interest. I'm not sure at this point what I will be doing at that time but if I can I will join in. Just finished working the hurricane and was staying in Carencro, LA and did not know that a Newell owner lived there or I would have looked him up.

Good luck with your project, Wally

tuga
11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Wally,

Arnold Bernard lives in Carencro, LA and has been a Newell owner for over 25 years. He is a very friendly guy and I am sure would love to meet another Newell owner.

If we can get about 25 coaches signed up for this rally I will contact Newell and see if they would like to participate. Bringing a couple of used coaches for sale is a great idea.

If anyone else has any ideas please let us hear about them.

Larry,

Kerrville is on I-10 west of San Antonio and the CG is Buckhorn Lake Resort. Glad you and Jeri can make it.

HoosierDaddy,

Good idea about a northern rally; Newell had one in Traverse City, MI and I've heard it was very nice. Look forward to meeting you.

Richard and Rhonda
11-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Moving it back one day would certainly be better for us. For some reason my bride doesn't think that a Newell rally is a good reason for keeping the kids out of school.

However, Rhonda did graciously volunteer to moderate the wive's discussion sessions to keep from making too much fun of the boys and their toys. Yeah, right, those of you who have been exposed to her, know that her prime sport is poking fun at my wacky adventures.

tuga
11-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Richard,

We need Rhonda to coordinate & moderate the ladies' activities. If us guys do it you know it will be WRONG! Glad to have her on board. Just have her email me with her ideas and we will get the ball rolling. If anyone else thinks that their wife would want to help Rhonda out I'm sure she would welcome it.

Let's remember that this rally is a group effort; we all need to help out with suggestions and ideas.

Is April 11-15, 2009(tenative) o.k. with everyone? If you have any conflicts please let us know. I would like to see if these dates are open @ Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville. Rally dates fill up quick.

chockwald
11-18-2008, 06:08 PM
April 11th to 15th works the best for us!

Went to the Buckhorn Lake Resort website and it looks like a very nice facility.

Our route to Kerrville is pretty uncomplicated....we jump on I-10 in Ontario, CA and drive 1200+ miles and exit in Kerrville...LOL!

Tom....if you are able to attend, maybe we could hook up with you on the way and travel there together. Let me know....

tuga
11-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Mike H,

If you are coming down I-49 from Ruston and then catching I-10 in Lafayette Arnold and I could hook up with you and caravan on to Kerrville. Let me know what your plans are.

fulltiming
11-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Remembering that the 12th is Easter, Buckhorn is pretty much full on that weekend. They have a Marathon Rally the 20th - 26th. They could probably get us in either the first part of the month leaving prior to the 9th or 10th or anytime between the 13th and the 19th. After that, it would be after the 27th.

tuga
11-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Michael,

Thanks for calling Kathy @ Buckhorn. Personally, I would prefer the beginning of April; maybe April 1st thru the 5th. But I am open for any dates if someone else has a conflict.

What do the rest of you guys want?

Currently we have 10 coaches that are coming. According to Kathy we need 15 or more to get a special rally rate of $29+tax per site per night. If we all rally (excuse the pun) some of our Newell friends maybe we can get to the magic number of 15.

encantotom
11-19-2008, 03:03 AM
i cannot do the first weekend in april we have church obligations that weekend.

tom

chockwald
11-19-2008, 02:47 PM
The 1st through the 5th puts me in Texas too early for the family wedding. We could do the 13th to the 16th, but would have to leave on the 17th to drive up to Tyler for the wedding. We could also probably do the 19th to the 23rd, after the wedding.

Does it have to be at Buckhorn? Is there another resort in the area, or region we could check out that has availability??

tuga
11-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Clarke,

The 19-23 sounds good for both you and Tom, but Buckhorn is booked on those dates. So we will contact LaHacienda RV park west of Austin for those dates. They have just opened a new section but I'm not sure if they do rallies. Will keep everyone informed.

tuga
11-26-2008, 02:55 AM
I reserved some sites at LaHacienda RV resort for April 19th thru 22nd checking out the morning of the 23rd, 2009. Each coach should call and reserve/pay for his site; reference the Newell rally. Ask for Linda 512 266-8001

This is a beautiful RV resort, and I encourge all of you guys to try to make it down to this mini rally. It is going to be a lot of fun.

http://www.lahaciendarvpark.com/

tuga
11-26-2008, 03:07 AM
eaI will update this post with the members who are going to the rally April 19-23, 2009 as they are confirmed by LaHacienda RV park (Linda). Please PM me and let me know to add you to the list.

If your wife's name appears in your signature line I will post it. Please PM me with your wife/significant other's name so everyone can be included.

1. Michael & Georgia Day (fulltiming)
2. Tuga & Karen Gaidry (tuga)
3. Tom & Darlene (encantotom)
4. Richard & Rhonda (Richard & Rhonda)
5. Clarke & Elaine (chockwald)
6. Larry & Jeri (larrynjeri)
7. Graham - maybe (gstarkie)
8. Larry & Vanessa (larryweikart)
9. David & Denise Zonker (zcasa)
10. Steve Magown (smagown)
11. Neal & Barbara Weckworth (nweck)
12. Ron & Jean Skeen
13. Wally Arntzen
14. Arnold & Connie Bernard (abern) CANCELLED!
15. Pete & Debbie (ccopel)
16. Matt & Connie Russo - still looking for the perfect Newell

Richard and Rhonda
11-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Rhonda and I plan on being there for at least the preceeding Saturday, and the Sunday the rally starts. We have two billy goats still in school, so they have to be back on Monday. However, it's close enough that maybe I can send them back in the toad and stay an extra day or so.

I plan on bringing tools :-)

encantotom
11-28-2008, 04:58 PM
if you are bringing tools, will there be a paramedic there as well? i am good for a few pints of o+ blood.

i cant work on the newell without at least a cut or bruise or bang on the head.

only difference is when i am working on someone elses, they feel sorry for me. darlene just knows i am a klutz, so not much sympathy there.

later

tom

gstarkie@utah.gov
12-02-2008, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the invite, we have an antique truck show commiment in Sacramento early in April we are trying to confirm the date maybe too close and trying to do too much but we'll see if it cqan be done we'ed love to attend if all works out. Thanks Graham

larrynjeri
12-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Larry n Jeri
Will be there in April, sounds like fun.

chockwald
12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I reserved some sites at LaHacienda RV resort for April 19th thru 22nd checking out the morning of the 23rd, 2009. Each coach should call and reserve/pay for his site; reference the Newell rally. Ask for Linda 512 266-8001

This is a beautiful RV resort, and I encourge all of you guys to try to make it down to this mini rally. It is going to be a lot of fun.

http://www.lahaciendarvpark.com/

Tuga.....I called today for Linda, but she's out of town until Friday, and the lady who answered was not familiar with the Newell rally so she suggested I call back on Friday when Linda returns. Did you reserve pull through sites, or back in? Also, in which section?

tuga
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Clarke,

I spoke to Michelle because Linda was on vacation. I reserved 10 sites in the pull thru section because she said that's where they put rallies. It should be reserved under "Newell rally". Maybe Michelle could help you or you could just wait until Linda returns. She told me that we could get more sites if everyone signs up early.

Richard and Rhonda
12-03-2008, 09:10 PM
As it stands now, our plans are to roll into Austin and the site on Friday night the 17th. We will leave either Sunday night or Monday to get the kids back in school. Hopefully I will get to meet all of you on Sunday.

I may try to send the bride and kids back on their own, since it's only about three hours drive, so I can stay longer. We'll see.

Thanks again for setting this up.

larryweikart
12-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Although we can't make a firm commitment at this time, Vanessa and I would love to join the group if at all possible. We are scheduled for a Long Beach race on April 18 but if history repeats itself, we will cancel our participation, which will leave that time slot available. We should know by the middle of March which hopefully would give us time to reserve a pull thru, as we will be pulling a trailer. Great idea, hope it catches on for future get togethers.

fulltiming
12-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I think that a number of folks will be arriving on Friday the 17th or Saturday the 18th to take advantage of the weekend. Since this is a very informal gathering, anyone wishing to arrive early, please do so. I hope to be in on the 17th myself.

fulltiming
12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I should probably add this this mini-rally is not sponsored by Newell but rather an opportunity for Newell owners to get together to talk about their coaches, enjoy great company and get maintenance/upgrade suggestions. Several of us have done maintenance/upgrades to our coaches and will be happy to share information with others. We will have some workshops/Question & Answer sessions to share information on getting the most out of our coaches.

Hope to see you there, the more the merrier.

tuga
12-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Michael,

I am at Newell now having a fender repaired. I met Morris Wienstein here; we had supper together last night. He is a great guy. Hope he can make the mini rally.

Thanks for clarifing the mini rally is not a Newell Coach sponsored rally.

I'm looking forward to it.

fulltiming
12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Please say Hi to Morris for me. I was aware he was taking his coach to Newell and I am glad to hear that the two of you got to meet.

fulltiming
01-13-2009, 03:52 AM
For those of you who are GPS freaks, the approximate coordinates of the entrance to the La Hacienda RV Resort are N31.41707 W97.92973 (per Street Atlas) which seems reasonable based on the coordinates I recorded at my site when I was at the park in late November, 2008.

The address again is 5320 Hudson Bend Road, Austin, TX 78734. Phone numbers for reservations (don't forget to tell them you are with the Newell rally) are 512.266.8001 or 1.888.378.7275.

Look forward to seeing everyone in April.

encantotom
01-13-2009, 05:40 PM
howdy,

i made my reservatiions today. only two others had done so to this point and i was the 3rd.

my wife darlene and i are tentatively arriving friday nite the 17th and staying until the following thursday.

she wasnt sure of the discount.

i did have to give a credit card, but they said they wouldnt charge it.

later

tom

fulltiming
01-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I was told that the Rally rate would be a 15% discount as long as we had at least 10 sites. Not sure how many days before and after the 'official' rally dates that applies but other parks have typically allowed a number of days either before or after the rally at the special rate.

I will be making my reservations as soon as I lock down the dates tighter. I will likely be there by the 17th and stay past the rally.

chockwald
01-13-2009, 07:21 PM
After reading Tom's post about reserving a site I called La Hacienda again today. I originally tried calling to reserve one of the sites in December, but was told at that time that they would just assign one of the sites reserved by Tuga to me upon arrival in April. Didn't make any sense to me at the time, so I let Tuga know what they had told me. Apparently he straightened the misunderstanding out, as I was able to secure a site today in my name.

tuga
01-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Clarke,

Glad to know that everything is straight with the RV resort resevations. I just didn't want to overbook any reservations.

Look forward to seeing everyone in April.

zcasa
02-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Hello Tuga:

My wife and I are now planning on attending the mini rally in TX. We are Coach #303 and live in CO. I will phone Linda tomorrow to make reservations.

I will send to you an email confirming our spot once received from Linda.

Thank you for organizing this opportunity. We look forward to meeting all.

David and Denise Zonker

tuga
02-01-2009, 08:52 PM
David & Denise,

Glad to have you aboard. Karen and I are looking forward to the rally and to meeting you guys.

Thanks for making the effort to attend; we are going to have a ball!

See you in April in Austin.

smagown
02-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok guys:
Count me in. I'm arriving on the 17th and have to depart on the 21st.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Thanks

chockwald
02-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Tuga....how many coaches will be attending (with their owners, of course) as of today?

tuga
02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Clarke,

Currently we have 10 coaches who have made reservations with LaHacienda RV park.

Post #30 on this thread lists the coaches that have made their reservations and have contacted me so that I can list them.

I will edit post #30 as folks notify me that they are going to attend the rally.

1988newell
02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
We appreicate the invitation, however we will have to pass on this one . Keep our name on the list.

Mel & Mildred
A 1988 (14 year) Newell owner of Al Unaser, Jr.'s custom design Motor Coach.

nweck
02-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to let you all know that we made reservations today at La Hacienda so that we could attend the Mini Rally. We should arrive on the 18th.

Our coach is number 507, a 1999 with out slides.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

nweck

chockwald
02-14-2009, 11:45 PM
nweck....great to have you! I guess that gives us 11 coaches so far.

tuga
02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
nweck, you are added to the list. See Newell Rallies & Group Gatherings>Mini Rally post #30 on page 3. We now have 11 coaches. Glad to have you attending.

chockwald
03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Tuga...it looks like we have a 12th coach (Ron and Jean Skeen) for the rally. I noticed Ron's post in the "Introduce Yourself" forum says that he has made reservations for the mini-rally, so that would make 12 now, I believe!

tuga
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Clark, thanks for catching that post. I have added Ron & Jean to the list, and yes that does make 12 coaches in attendance. Morris Weinstein told me that he will ride his motorcycle from Kerrville (he owns a site in Buckhorn) to the rally. So I guess that makes 12 1/2 coaches in attendance. It is shaping up nicely. I think it is going to be a blast!

wallyarntzen
03-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Hi Tuga,
If I don't get called out to work in the next four weeks I will coming to the rally with Tom. We will be traveling from Arizona together. I am hesitant to reserve a spot because the odds are pretty high that I could be working. If I'm working and can't get a spot I will travel with Tom anyhow and just go to San Antonio to visit relatives.

Wally Arntzen

tuga
03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Great Wally, hope you can make it. If I might suggest; check with LaHacienda RV Resort regarding their cancellation policy. I think that it is one day but I would confirm it if I were you. If it is a one day cancellation policy, make the reservation so we can all be parked together then if you have to cancel call them one day ahead of the rally and your cost will be zero.

Just a thought! Hope you can make it. Let me know when/if you make the reservation and I will add you to the list.

Wally Arntzen
03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Tuga,

I'm reserved for the 17th thru the 23rd. Looking forward to meeting you.

Thanks much for all of work puting this together, Wally Arntzen

tuga
03-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Great Wally, looking forward to meeting you also. See you in April.

larryweikart
03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
I was hopeing our schedule would allow us to be at the get together and pick some brains, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen this time. Hopefully you'll have others scheduled that don't conflict with our racing schedule. My wife just brought me a product for cleaning the leather in our coach. It is absolutely amazing. It's hard to believe how soiled the furniture gets. Maybe some of you have already discovered Mr. Cleans Magic Eraser. If not, it would be a wonderful product to show how easy some items can be cleaned. Have a great time in Texas. Hope to meet many of you in the future. Larry

Richard and Rhonda
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Larry,

Sorry you can't make it.

Are you towing the Smart Car?

Richard

larryweikart
03-28-2009, 03:09 PM
No, not yet. Looking into making a platform for the hitch, like they have for hauling a motorcyle, that might work for the Smart. We are very impressed with the little bugger!

tuga
03-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Larry,

Sorry you won't be able to make the Austin mini rally. I have a friend who has mounted a Smart car on the back of his Prevost. If you would like to see some pictures I can email him and see if he would be willing to share his innovations. He doesn't like the fact that he can't back up while towing a car. The installation is really neat.

fulltiming
03-28-2009, 06:02 PM
It would require a VERY strong hitch but the Smart is so short (slightly over 8-1/2') that you might be able to construct a rack similar to but more substantial than a motorcycle lift that you could drive the car onto from the side and lift it into the air. Since the front ends on large coaches are typically close to being maxed out weight-wise, that would certainly offload weight from the front axle. That would solve several issues: 1) you could back up without worry, 2) you would not be 'towing' so in states that have a lower speed limit for vehicles towing you would not be affected and 3) the weight on your coach would be better distributed. The length of 106.1" makes the Smart Car 4.1" too wide to be legal to be transported sideways unless you could travel with the vehicle tilted somewhat which might create side to side weight balance issues.

We will miss you at the rally.

tuga
03-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Larry,

My Prevost friend's name is Peter von Schoonhoven and his phone number is 360 901-7611 and his email address pvans@pacifier.com

He is glad to hear of someone else who is considering mounting a Smart to the back of their coach. Peter is a smart guy (engineer) and very detail oriented.

Hope this can help you.

tuga
03-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Michael,

The Smart car that my friend Peter has is an older one, a 2002 model I think, and it is 101.5" long! It was one of the first one's made. This allows him to carry it E-W instead of N-S. You are correct the newer Smarts are 106.1" long and would be too wide.

I would post the picture of it but I can't figure out how to do it from an email or from Picasa either.

Peter has mounted two metal rods that attach to the top of the rear cap (thru fiberglass & into a piece of metal) & the other end attaches to the carrier. One rod on each side of the lift. This forms a triangle with the back of the bus. I am not sure how it works, but maybe Larry can explain it after he talks with Peter.

Michael you bring up a good point about removing some weight off of the front axle, that would be a big advantage.

larryweikart
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks Michael & Tuga. Good info. When I get home I'll dig into this deeper
I thought the 2" sticking out on each side would be a problem from a "legal" standpoint but, other than that I'm not really concerned. I'm only considering carrying it E-W. Tuga, I'll contact Peter, when I get back and see what he has done. He must not live in the states, if he has an older model. I'll keep you up-dated. Thanks again and have a great time in Texas.

tuga
03-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Larry,

Peter lives in Washington state. I think his Smart is a 2002 model; he did have it imported into the US. I think that he purchased it on eBay. I really doubt if state police are going to measure the width of your Smart mounted on the back of your Newell. Maybe in California but I doubt it.

In 17 years of motorhoming, I have only been in a tight squeeze once. It was in California on a bridge under construction with concrete barriers on BOTH sides of the single lane. I still can't believe that I made it thru with scraping up the sides of the coach! Boy that was tight!

chockwald
03-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Good morning Tuga.....looks like another coach will be joining us in Austin. Just saw in the "Introduce Yourself" section that Pete and Debbie of Corpus Christi,TX (coach #422) will be joining us (see post #4 on the Ron Skeen thread). See you in 3 weeks!

ccopel
03-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone from ccopel,

We are Pete and Debbie in Corpus Christi, TX. Just over two months ago Debbie looked at coaches at PPL in Houston using their website. We happened to stay next door at All Star RV Resort and saw how many consignment coaches they had. Independently, I looked at their inventory also. The following week we were in Houston again and I told Debbie that I wanted to stop at PPL to look at a coach I saw on the web. She then told me she also wanted to look at a coach she had looked at on their site. To our surprise it was the same coach, Newll #419. Two weeks later we owned it.
We have loged 1500+ miles since then and loved every minute.
Our next trip is to Austin for the rally. ETA will be Saturday by noon.

See you there,

Pete

Richard and Rhonda
03-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey Pete and Debbie,

Looking forward to meeting you and your coach. Many of us drooled over the coach at PPL.

tuga
04-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Welcome Pete & Debbie to the NewellClassic forum. Glad to have you on board! Look forward to seeing your coach.

Clarke,

Thanks for calling Pete & Debbie attending the rally to my attention. I added them to the list(see post #30 on this thread) and it looks like we have 15 coaches attending! Hope I counted right!

ikcandco
04-01-2009, 02:00 AM
From Larryweikart’s Post :
Larry Wrote
. . . Looking into making a platform for the hitch, like they have for hauling a motorcyle,
that might work for the Smart. We are very impressed with the little bugger!
»»»»»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««««««
«~» Larry, take a look at this idea, by CLICKING HERE (http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4114#post4114)
-----------------
May God Bless
KC ~ A~

tuga
04-01-2009, 12:25 PM
We would like to have a pot luck supper on April 20th (second night of the rally). If each coach could bring a covered dish or desert to the community room I think we can have a nice get together. Karen is making the arrangements to reserve the community room. Further devolpments will be posted.

Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

zcasa
04-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Tuga and Karen:

Thank you very much for this entire idea and opportunity to meet with fellow Newell owners, many of whom we have communicated with on this Forum. The 20th dinner idea is great. In addition, maybe we could consider having a gettogether on the 19th in the community hall for "Happy Hour". Everyone could bring an appetizer, something to wet the whistle and we could have a social hour of introductions and saying something nice about ourselves? I would be glad to lead the way that evening if you would like?

Have a good day.

David and Denise

chockwald
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Tuga and David...both great ideas....would be great to have an "ice breaker" Sunday evening. Tuga, are we just going to roll the dice and see who brings what, or would you like us to advise in advance "covered", or "dessert"?...not that I'm opposed to a lot of dessert...LOL!

If anyone is bringing their bikes Elaine and I will be taking a bike ride Monday, or Tuesday, and love to have some company.

tuga
04-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Tuga and Karen:

Thank you very much for this entire idea and opportunity to meet with fellow Newell owners, many of whom we have communicated with on this Forum. The 20th dinner idea is great. In addition, maybe we could consider having a gettogether on the 19th in the community hall for "Happy Hour". Everyone could bring an appetizer, something to wet the whistle and we could have a social hour of introductions and saying something nice about ourselves? I would be glad to lead the way that evening if you would like?

Have a good day.

David and Denise

David,

That's great; let's do it! We'll all meet @ 5PM at Michael's coach (is that o.k. Michael?).

tuga
04-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Clarke,

I think your idea of each coach posting what they will bring would be a good idea. I'll edit this post with each coach's contribution so we won't have too much of one thing. Looks like we will have about 30 people (15 coaches).
Karen has reserved the meeting hall for our pot luck supper.

Tuga & Karen - chicken cordon bleu casserole
Clarke & Elaine - cheese cake lemon bars (dessert)
David & Denise - vegtable salad

chockwald
04-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Clarke and Elaine - cheese cake lemon bars (dessert)

Neweller
04-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Wow, that is all I can say about how this rally is coming together. Looks as if everyone attending will be in for a great time.

This is the type of participation I only dreamed about after we went public with this forum. :)

Ken
ncadmin

tuga
04-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Wow, that is all I can say about how this rally is coming together. Looks as if everyone attending will be in for a great time.

This is the type of participation I only dreamed about after we went public with this forum. :)

Ken
ncadmin

Hi Ken, don't know where you live, but we would love to have you join us in Austin! It's going to be a great time; good food - good friends - and 15 beautiful Newells! How are you going to beat deal like that! Come on down!

tuga
04-02-2009, 12:11 AM
You know, if any of you have a friend who doesn't own a Newell but are interested in learning more about them - invite them to the rally in Austin. We've got plenty of room. With so many knowledgeable Newell owners in one place, those guys & gals who are thinking of getting one of these beautiful coaches couldn't be in a better place to look around and talk to owners. Even if they own other brands like Blue Bird, Prevost, etc. come to our rally and learn about a Newell. You'll be glad you did.

How about it express1??????

April 19-23, 2009 @ LaHacienda RV Resort, Austin, Texas.

Neweller
04-02-2009, 12:42 AM
tuga,

I've been thinking about the option of attending the rally in Austin. I have recently started tearing into my Newell hoping to prepare it for sale, and it won't be ready for a trip to the rally. I kind of wish I would have not started repairs on it and just sold it as/is and let someone else earn their own sweat equity. :confused:

fulltiming
04-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Ken, I attended a rally several years ago that due to distance and family medical issue precluded my opportunity to take my RV. I ended up flying in and staying in a hotel. It wasn't as good as attending in my coach but I had a great time and no one seemed to mind that I was staying off-site.

So if you can get there by air, car, truck or train, head on down to Austin.

express1
04-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Connie and I would love to join in and kick a few tires...

zcasa
04-02-2009, 02:12 AM
David and Denise will bring vegetable salad.

Also, Tuga, with 30 people potentially for Happy Hour on the 19th, do we want to do it at Michael's Coach or do you want me to try and get the community hall? I'll be glad to call if you want me to? Also, if all would agree to bring an appetizer to share and BYOB that would be a great time to meet everyone and to hear a little bit about each family and coach. Can't wait. Clarke, count Denise and me in on the bike ride. Do you have a tandem that you and I could ride together? LOL. Would love to have Ken join us.

chockwald
04-02-2009, 05:32 AM
David...great....I'm looking into a nice loop in the Lake Travis area. Not sure if the tandem will make the trip...still working on the logistics of which bikes will make the trip. I'll talk to Elaine about an appetizer for the happy hour on Sunday.

zcasa
04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey Tuga:

Another idea might be for some of the senior members attending the rally would be to host a one hour or so of technical support. Many of us would gain better understanding of routine maintenance items, do it yourself projects etc. I know that this rally is for building relationships etc., but the one Newell sponsored rally that I attended, the one hour service forum was very helpful.

David

tuga
04-02-2009, 12:51 PM
David and Denise will bring vegetable salad.

Also, Tuga, with 30 people potentially for Happy Hour on the 19th, do we want to do it at Michael's Coach or do you want me to try and get the community hall? I'll be glad to call if you want me to? Also, if all would agree to bring an appetizer to share and BYOB that would be a great time to meet everyone and to hear a little bit about each family and coach. Can't wait. Clarke, count Denise and me in on the bike ride. Do you have a tandem that you and I could ride together? LOL. Would love to have Ken join us.

David,

That sounds bettter than meeting @ Michael's coach. If you can schedule the meeting hall that would be perfect. BYOB and some chips and dip would really make it nice. Let's do it.

tuga
04-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey Tuga:

Another idea might be for some of the senior members attending the rally would be to host a one hour or so of technical support. Many of us would gain better understanding of routine maintenance items, do it yourself projects etc. I know that this rally is for building relationships etc., but the one Newell sponsored rally that I attended, the one hour service forum was very helpful.

David

David,

A mechanic's corner or tech support seminar would be a great idea. If anyone would like to do one just speak up. If the weather is nice it could be done right at the coach! Nothing like hands on explainations of how a system works or how to fix/replace a broken part. Any volunteers!

fulltiming
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Great idea David. There are a number of do-it-yourself types that will be attending. I think one or more technical roundtable discussions would be worthwhile. For most questions, there will likely be someone there with experience.

Richard and Rhonda
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I am bringing a road bike but sun and Monday are the only two I'll have to ride. It's hillier than younwould think around austin. Leave the straight blocks at home

zcasa
04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Tuga, ok, here is what I did today. Spoke with Carl, of LaHacienda RV Park, and he advised us to use the clubhouse for our events. Evidently it has a nice covered deck and an 11x40 room that is heated/ac, full kitchen, rest room, chairs, couple of folding tables, tv, etc. Essentially the size of a Park Model type unit. He provided that to us for our entire stay at no charge to the Rally. So, we can choose any times that we would like for social gatherings, tech support seminar etc. While he personally will not be there during our stay, he is excited that we chose his Park and remembers setting this up at your request. You laid some excellent groundwork for us, and I have no doubt, this is why we are being treated very well. Thank you.

encantotom
04-02-2009, 09:02 PM
hi all,

darlene and i will do whatever potluck stuff is needed. i am there to be with you guys, not to go sight seeing.

as for tech sessions and help. everytime i have been with any of you guys it is one long tech session or fix it time. i have worked on michaels coach and he mine. it will be great to help each other with whatever needs done.

i love to talk about what i have fixed and or changed. which is a pretty long list i might admit.

i am really looking forward to this. wally and i are driving out together in our rigs and plan on being there sometime friday. i will be staying till the following thursday.

i will bring any spare parts i want to trade etc as well. my wife darlene makes the inside window shade screens, mirror covers and wiper covers and will bring some of them to peddle or horse trade as well. (they are as good or better than any online)

this should be a ton of fun.

later

tom

tuga
04-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Tuga, ok, here is what I did today. Spoke with Carl, of LaHacienda RV Park, and he advised us to use the clubhouse for our events. Evidently it has a nice covered deck and an 11x40 room that is heated/ac, full kitchen, rest room, chairs, couple of folding tables, tv, etc. Essentially the size of a Park Model type unit. He provided that to us for our entire stay at no charge to the Rally. So, we can choose any times that we would like for social gatherings, tech support seminar etc. While he personally will not be there during our stay, he is excited that we chose his Park and remembers setting this up at your request. You laid some excellent groundwork for us, and I have no doubt, this is why we are being treated very well. Thank you.

Great David the clubhouse sounds perfect for the pot luck dinner on Monday and the happy hour on arrival day - Sunday afternoon. We can have the tech support seminars there as well. Thanks for talking to Carl.

fulltiming
04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
When would be a convenient time for one or more technical workshop/seminars?

I suggest that on Sunday (Saturday if you arrive early), we have a list of those that have specific issues and see if someone either knows the answer or is willing to roll up their sleeves and see if they can help.

I will make copies of a couple of maintenance lists that I got from Newell. Obviously different drive trains have somewhat different requirements but it should be a starting place. If any of you with pre 1990 coaches happen to have a maintenance check list for your coach, bring it and I will make copies of it for others also.

We certainly welcome anyone who is interested to tour our coach. We have it pretty loaded since we live in it but come on over.

Michael

encantotom
04-03-2009, 09:20 PM
darlene and i will be going to church in the morning on sunday. so we will not be able to do anything till after lunch.

tom

tuga
04-03-2009, 10:28 PM
When would be a convenient time for one or more technical workshop/seminars?

I suggest that on Sunday (Saturday if you arrive early), we have a list of those that have specific issues and see if someone either knows the answer or is willing to roll up their sleeves and see if they can help.

I will make copies of a couple of maintenance lists that I got from Newell. Obviously different drive trains have somewhat different requirements but it should be a starting place. If any of you with pre 1990 coaches happen to have a maintenance check list for your coach, bring it and I will make copies of it for others also.

We certainly welcome anyone who is interested to tour our coach. We have it pretty loaded since we live in it but come on over.

Michael

Michael,

I think that early afternoon would be a good time to have seminars. If we have a lot of guys who want to do a seminar we could do one in the morning as well.

At other rallies that I have attended, folks would open their coaches for an open house. It can be done between 4 & 5 PM on one of the days. We can make some signs to put on the windshield if an owner wants his/her coach to participate in the open house. Each coach would be assigned a time frame (15 minutes) to be open for all to see. By doing it this way, open house participants get to see everyone else's coach and are not stuck staying in their coach when the crowd moves on to the next coach.

I'm open to suggestions!

encantotom
04-03-2009, 10:33 PM
hey, my coach is always open. particularly if someone is gonna come and fix something in it....

one of the things that would be nice is if people had specific things they currently needed help with and we could put our collective wits to bear on fixing or at least troubleshooting some problems for each other..

tom

tuga
04-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Great idea Tom, I currently have a bad air leak on the passenger side of my coach. I found a solenoid in the engine room that is leaking air out of the top of the solenoid. Problem is, I don't know if it is supposed to vent there or if it a bad solenoid?

The coach sits all the way down on the passenger side! Ouch!

Ron Skeen
04-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Hi You All.
Jean and I go to Church also on Sunday but would love to learn anything about Newells. We will be arriving on the 15th and leaving on the 22. We are delivering an ATV in Dallas on the 14th. We had a 89 which we change several things and now have a 96 (#422) and also have made many changes. See you then.

ccopel
04-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Hi from Corpus Christi,
We are having air leaks also. The supplemental air runs low and the door to the back will not open. We almost could not get out. I tried to find the fuse for the 12v air pump but could not locate it.
See you in Austin,
Pete
1996 #419

zcasa
04-04-2009, 04:31 AM
303 also leans to the right when in storage. Seems to hold air fine on the road and when leveled at an RV park. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone can fix it while we are touring their Coach???? Just kidding.

David and Denise

Richard and Rhonda
04-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I'll bring tools, you bring refreshments

tuga
04-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Richard,

What do you like to drink? Beer, wine, Jack Daniel's?

chockwald
04-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm looking forward to learning what Tom and Richard have learned about the solenoids, and how to rebuild them. Looks like we'll have several opportunities to observe....I'll bring the Scotch....

encantotom
04-05-2009, 12:01 AM
hey, darlene and i are no alcohol, so bring the root beer too.

tom

Richard and Rhonda
04-05-2009, 02:18 AM
When I'm working, it's Diet Pepsi

Wally Arntzen
04-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Phyllis and I are also no alcohol so there will be a couple of sober ones in the crowd.

Wally

tuga
04-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I am a diabetic so I drink Diet Coke. I would much prefer a piece of pecan pie or key lime pie to beer or wine, but those days are gone. Karen occasionally drinks a glass of wine.

encantotom
04-05-2009, 04:52 PM
gotta be some key lime pie or pecan pie.

tom

Neweller
04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Don't know if the host of this rally or anyone else for that matter, would be interested in displaying a NewellClassic.com banner at one of the sites? If so, I would be willing to provide one, if time allows.

Ken

tuga
04-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Ken,

Thanks for a great idea!

We don't have a host; it's just a group of guys and gals who want to meet one another and learn more about our Newells. Speaking for myself, I think having a NewellClassic banner would be GREAT!

Where could we hang it????

1988newell
05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I am not aware of a mini Newell ralley. Therefore I am out of the loop. My prestine 1988 is going on the market so if you know of someone looking for a well maintained classic Newell that has been kept i its own custom built garage when not own the road, then send them my way.:)

Neweller
05-10-2011, 12:05 AM
1988Newell, have you put your Newell in the site classifieds? That's where it needs to be. The classifieds get a ton of hits.

Good Luck

jwe648
05-11-2011, 12:19 AM
1988Newell, have you put your Newell in the site classifieds? That's where it needs to be. The classifieds get a ton of hits.

Good Luck

He has it on the Buy/Sale/Trade site...