PDA

View Full Version : Transmit TV signal to outside TV

tuga
11-20-2008, 11:54 PM
I want to install a flat screen TV in one of my lower bays. I have a 120v plug in the bay, but I want to know if there is a way to send the satellite signal wirelessly from the receiver inside to the TV outside? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

HoosierDaddy
11-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Here's an idea from ebay Item number: 350117079740
I've seen these work in a house but not sure about motorhome. My son is in the data transmission business. If you dont find something that works feel free to PM me and I'll check with him.
Dean

encantotom
11-21-2008, 02:00 AM
i ran a new quad shield coax and a cat5e to the bay from the AV gear in the overhead cab up front. it isnt that hard to do. it would be wayyyy better than any potential wireless solution you might spend money on.

the other issue i have run into is the outlet in the bay is powered off the circuit as the bay electric heater. that makes it impractical to put on the inverter circuit. so, for there to be 110 v in my bay receptacle, i have to have the coach plugged into shore power or have the genny running.

btw, the cat5e cable is to run infrared over cat5 that i use elsewhere in the coach to control all the AV gear.

i honestly dont know anyone who has done tv over wireless and i am in the consumer electronics biz for tv's. mix in the bandwidth needed for hdtv and you are up a creek.

are you sure there is not a coax in one of the bays already that you couldnt route to where you want it? i would be very suprised there wasnt one tucked away in the bay.

tom

tuga
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the info; my bay receptacle runs off of my inverter so I can use it. I guess I'll just run the satellite cable from the overhead cabinet to the bay and forget the wireless. The bay that will house the outside TV is aft of the entry door which houses the stairway. So it seems that the best way to run it would be under the coach and come up into that bay. Is that how you would do it?

HoosierDaddy
11-21-2008, 01:33 PM
My '93 has a raceway just aft of the outside door from the upper raceway down to the bay. If yours is like that I'd run it from the overhead cabinet along the upper and down that vertical raceway.

HoosierDaddy
11-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Tom's right...You may find an unused coax once you pull the covers off of the wire raceway. The end may be "rolled up" and stashed within the wire raceway in your front cabinet.
Dean

encantotom
11-21-2008, 02:17 PM
i have run LOTS of cabling in my coach from front to back and to different bays and places. i replaced all the RG59 coax with 3ghz sweep tested solid copper center conductor rg6 quad shield coax and put T&B compression connectors on. i ran from front to rear, from the front to the bay for a tv from the front to the bay to hook up to cable tv and ran cat5 to each of those as well. as was common back in the 90's, RG59 was run as universal coax. i dont know what year they started to run rg6. rg59 is not very great for hdtv and high quality pictures, but will likely work just fine.

my original coax to the bay behind the door was run from the front cabinet down the channel covered by an aluminum plate covered with interior matching leather that is between the front windshield and front passenger window, down behind the cd fuse panel, along the corner of the floor where the wall and floor meet to just behind the passenger front seat underneath the couch and through to the floor into the bay underneath. from there it ran along the top front of the bay to the door, then went down and though the door right side wall so it ran inside the step cavity into the left door side wall into the bay where the tv would be.

so, how i ran the new one was very different. i ran it from the front overhead, along and inside the upper valence on the passenger side where the lights to the kitchen cab chase (where a bunch of AC and DC wires ware running already, trying to avoid direct contact with AC romex) then through the kitchen cabinets to the closet right behind the kitchen, down the wall in a covered chase panel down through the floor into the bay below that houses all the tanks. then along the wire bunde just behind the bay door to the bay that i will put my tv in.

it makes perfect sense to me, but probably wont for anyone else.

the real part of this is that since each coach is slightly different, i doubt that what works for me would even be best for someone of a model year close to mine let alone yours. i spent alot of time scouting out places to run new cabling. i have run romex, cat5 and coax along with DC control wiring. i have been impressed to find quite a few spare wires of both DC, like 11-14 gauge and 12/2 romex run in different places.

keep in mind i also ran new control wiring for my AV setups including HDMI cabling.

in my coach since i have had EVERY access area open when i was redoing the interior i pretty much know every place there is to run wiring. until i discover another clever place they ran it.

later

tom

tuga
11-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Dean & Tom,

Thanks for the info, I'll start next week running the coax.

gaz
11-27-2008, 11:07 PM
I want to install a flat screen TV in one of my lower bays. I have a 120v plug in the bay, but I want to know if there is a way to send the satellite signal wirelessly from the receiver inside to the TV outside? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

giday tuga
i have wire less tv set up on my 1980 38 ft ,to mount tv in the bin
would not be hard,the transmitterr and reciever need to be in line, signal penertrates walls flooring etc
hope this helps
gaz
down under

tuga
11-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Gaz,

Thanks for the info on using wireless. It is great to hear from our Newell owners in Austraila, WOW! Are there any other Newell owners down under? Do you come to the states very often? Sure would like to meet you.

gaz
11-28-2008, 09:49 AM
giday tuga
i dont get to the states very often any more i imported a few rv"s into aussie to work up to a good motor home ,i did not know what i was looking for untill i found the newel,because of width limits we can only bring in up to 2.5 metres (81 inches) wide ,
when we get to the states it will be for a good trip and hope to meet some of you guys then
my newel is the only one in australia we get some funny questions
but we think(know) we have a very well made coach it ticks all our boxs
i am pushing 50 years as a mechnic and so have a bit of experiance altho cant read and write real flash,when i get some one to show me how i will send photos
all the best
gaz suzie