Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Engine Air Filter
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockwald View Post
Thanks, Steve...I've added that link to my Newell folder for future reference. I just replaced mine about 1 year ago. How often should they be replaced???
Based on my observations, the most common cause of turbo failure in a rear engine coach is a dirty air filter. If you've ever driven on a dusty road, you will have an appreciation for how the rear of the coach literally ‘vacuums’ up the dust and the dirt. Much the same happens when you pass through a construction area where the concrete cutters have left a fine talcum powder like dust on the roadway.

As an air filter begins to ‘clog’, the inflow of air is reduced and a low pressure area develops within the turbo. Without copious amounts of fresh air for the turbine wheel to compress, the turbine wheel can over-speed and self destruct. The high vacuum can also pull the oil past the bearing seal and into the compressor. The reduced air flow also creates excessive exhaust temperatures that can damage the bearing and crack the turbine housing.

Another problem is turbo blade damage caused by break-down of the air filter element. Most air filters use a hard glue to secure the paper elements. As the filter ‘clogs’ and starts to deform, the ‘chunks’ of dried glue can dislodge and get sucked into the spinning blades. With turbine wheel’s spinning in excess of 50,000 RPM this can lead to catastrophic turbine failure.

Rather than strictly adhere to a fixed hour, mileage, or calendar schedule, I suggest adjusting your filter changes based on how you use your coach. I also recommend frequent checks of your filter ‘vacuum gauge’, along with flashlight inspections of your air filter. Careful attention to your air filter, can help to preclude high cost turbo change-outs and empty wallets.

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote