Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Handling Characteristics
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Wally Arntzen

Richard, I started with 78 Winnebago brave a long time ago in 1979. I bought it after a lady purchased it and had a wreck on her first trip. My borther-in-law and me fixed it up and I must say that trucks and large pick ups blew me all over the road.
My next venture I got into a 1976 GMC with the front wheel drive and mechanically rebuilt the entire coach. I drove, rode and steered well. I installed some special torision bars that made a stable coach with the wind and trucks. I then got into a 1978 GMC that I restored from the frame up. Everything new so actually had a new 78 with a lot of extra goodies. This was a tremendous coach but they are just to small to spent a lot of time in them. GMC was way ahead of their time and could have built larger coaches and been a big hitter in the marked but they quit after 1978.
About 10 years ago I got into a 1978 newell with a 555 cumins engine and completely redid the entire inside of the coach. I drove, steered and rode well but it was only a 36 footer.
About 5 years ago I got into the 88 Newell that I now have and it is wonderfull in every way except we are now fulltimers and a couple of slide outs would sure help.

1. The Winnebago was a different league altogether and does not compare to any of the other coaches I owned.
2. The 2 GMC's were great little coaches with a smooth ride and my 78 we changed the tornado engine to a 500 cadilac and it had more power that you could imagine.
3. 1978 Newell was a great coach but lacked power with the 555 cumins.
4. 1988 Newell has been a special coach for us with minimal problems and is by far the best coach I have ever had or driven.
Thanks to Newell for keeping ahead of the others with there inovations and creativity.

Wally
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote