Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - No 12 volt?
Thread: No 12 volt?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
chockwald

Richard......Didn't get back to the coach yesterday....it literally rained all day and into the evening. Even had a rare thunder/lightning show last night. I suspect something wrong inside the switch box.....a few weeks ago when I drove down to Temecula in the heavy rain storm the genset wouldn't start the next morning....it would turn over, but I believe the propane solenoid was not getting power. That afternoon after it dried out it started up and ran fine. I even ran it on the way home from Rancho Jurupa after our President's Day weekend, and it ran fine for 45 minutes under full load. Then last week after I had the "ground" issue on the rear panel, the propane solenoid trigger was getting power, but the starter solenoid trigger was not.

When the propane solenoid trigger was getting power I jumped the two terminals on the starter solenoid and got it to start and run, and was able to shut it down. I assumed it was the solenoid (at that time) that was bad.....OK, only a $12 part. When installed the new solenoid and turned on the house batteries the generator tried to start all by itself. I then disconnected the wire to the starter, turned on the batteries and found that the trigger was getting power all the time, whether or not I pushed the starter switch. I went inside and toggled the starter switch on the instrument panel, then went outside, turned off the batteries, and reconnected the starter. I turned on the batteries again, and it was quiet, as it should be, however, now I am not getter power to either trigger when pressing the starter switch, inside, or outside.

There are two sets of wires that connect to the starter box...both have molded plastic connectors with a number of pins inside of each. The larger one appears cracked, and I suspect that is how water got in on the trip down to Temecula.....so I will try to get back over today (still somewhat sick) and open up the box and see what I see inside. It got too dark and cold Friday for me to investigate the box further.

Is it possible there are fuses inside the box? I didn't see any on the outside the other day, and I was looking.

Steve...checked both oil and coolant levels and both are fine....I suspected that at first....I was hoping it was that simple. Now I'm thinking something has shorted inside the fuse box, or that there are fuses in there that have blown....hope, hope it's that simple. Then just clean up the box, wiring, and replace fuses. Otherwise, maybe the switch has gone bad....who knows.

The one great thing about these last two issues is that I'm learning a lot about my coach that I didn't know before.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote