Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - 8v92 ddec 2 engine operating temps
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
tuga

encantotom,

180 to 190 is normal on flat ground in the summer. In the hills and mountains you want to watch your boost gauge and keep it around 15 to 20 psi. You control the boost with the accelerator; if you let off of the accelerator the boost will drop and if you press the accelerator down the boost will increase. The gauge measures the boost going to the turbo.

Climbing a grade is best accomplished by using the gears; climb at a smooth steady rate, let the transmission select the correct gear and hold the boost to 15 or 20 psi and your engine should not over heat. Using the correct gears and boost should keep your engine temperatures down around 200 to 210. Pulling a vehicle may kick up the temps 5 degrees or so. Remember that the antifreeze is under pressure so the operating temps can be higher.

I agree with you about the markings on the VDO gauge not being linear. Mine has markings between the 180 and 230 = 50 degrees. I assume the first mark is 190, the second is 200, the third is 210, and the fourth is 220. What makes it confusing is they are not equidistant apart!

A yellow warning light will come on when the engine is approaching a dangerous overheating situation. A red shut down light will come on before the engine shuts down completely. So as long as no light come on you should be go to.

I think that if you just use the boost gauge and the temperature guage together and don't try to climb the hill too quickly everything will be fine.
I climb most grades at about 30 to 35 miles per hour.

One more tip: when you stop for lunch or at a scenic overlook check your oil. An engine that has been running hot WILL BURN OIL. Remember the coach should be level when checking it, and keep it right on the full mark.

Good Luck
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote