Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - 1990 45ft #62 A/C's Failing
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
encantotom

howdy, richard and others will comment on your question about "bad" compressors and motors i am sure. i guess the way i look at is not that wayt at all. the coaches we are talking about are 15-20 years old. they are exposed to high and low temperatures, moisture etc. now, put your house on wheels with all the heaters and air conditioners, let it set and drive it once in a while for FIFTEEN TO TWENTY-FIVE years and see how well the air conditioner works. i view it as that it is a testimony to how high a quality of units they used to have them last this long.

so, yea, they have components that go bad. and we fix them. the same as on my house. as for carrying spare parts, dont get us started. we all carry way more spare parts than we would like to admit for just about everything in the coach. if we each did a spare part list, you would find commonly replaced things like solenoids, air valves, lights, etc. then you would find out the things that each of us are concerned about having spares for based on our past experiences. i have seen step motors, gas caps, and a laundry list of things. when we get together as a group we could probably assemble a new old stock newell from all of our parts. that is because we are newell geeks and accumulate the things.

that said, we get together with FIFTEEN TO TWENTY-FIVE year old newells (28 years in the case of clarke and steve), that are looking like new ones, yea we talk about what we fixed and how and compare how we did it, what scars we got from doing it and how we found the part for cheap somewhere. and then we go from coach to coach to work on things. if it was to be the same for regular fiberglass motorhomes, we would be showing pictures and remembering what they looked like before they fell apart after ten years and remember the good ol days. instead we are living the good ol days.

btw, many of the folks have these units that are still working strong other than regular service.

good for us, we have the air conditioning wizardry of richard to help us all out.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote