Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Generator White Smoke
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

I have been traveling, hence the delay.

It is my observation from having the same issue with my own gennie that coincided with many hours of running at a light load that I commented upon.

Since it was approximately 30 degrees at the time and the AC wont work that low, plus I was already intoxicated with diesel oil from the main engine debacle, that I decided to adjust the valves and look at the injectors.

What I found was the injectors were completely covered with a layer of carbon about .030 thick. Also, and more telling, was the hole into the cylinder head had a crust of carbon plugging it up even after I removed the injector. I used a brass rod to break that up.

The point is I had visible proof of what happens when you run the gennie at light loads for extended periods.

Ok, one more point. I agree to a certain extent that water vapor can create white smoke. However, unburned or raw diesel will also be white. Partially burned diesel will be black. I think what you were seeing when you first cranked the engine was raw diesel, and when the engine heated a bit the raw diesel then turned into partially burned, i.e. black and sooty diesel. Of course all of this comes from the diesel not atomizing finely enough through a fouled injector.

When I had the cracked liner in the main engine there was NEVER any white smoke. The water simply does not flow into the high compression of the cylinder while the engine is running.

I am glad that the run it hard remedy was effective. A couple of gallons of diesel is certainly cheaper than an hour of a mechanics time. However, if the problem persists, you may want to have the injectors replaced or rebuilt.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote