Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - How to rinse holding tank?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
encantotom

again, interesting how each one is a little different. mine has a not so clear now and soon to be replaced tube on the drivers side. and a place to attach a hose to spray inward to the tank as part of that same connection.

i have to tell a story to show how an engineers mind thinks.

the first couple of weeks we had the coach we went on a 5k mile trip. during the trip a bottle of formaldehyde septic chemicals that i didnt know was there broke under the bathroom sink. this made a smell that was unbelieveable and we spent hours cleaning it up thinking we wouldnt survive the toxic fumes. so we vowed we would never use a harsh chemical in the tank.

so i went on a quest. i ended up buying a bacteria based stuff that is made and sold by a family in Louisiana.

i got it right before the trip to creede a few months ago. it had instructions that you should clean the tank to get anything that might kill the bacteria out before you used it. it suggested emptying the tank, then putting a little water in it and a few bags of ice cubes. the ice cubes would slosh around and act as a rough cleaning agent and eventually melt and then you could empty it all out.

well, it was 110 degrees the day we left, so the engineer said to me, more is better. so we stopped at mcdonalds and got 30 bags of ice, thinking we would just quickly dump them down the toilet and be off to drive with them in till we stopped that nite.

well first of all, mcdonalds is not set up to easily sell an individual 30 bags of ice. we went there because ice is cheap there. it took an half an hour with a cart to get them to the coach. and it was so hot that they formed big ice balls. so we had to break each bag up.

then, the neck of the toilet isnt big enough to take a whole bag of ice. and it got immediately plugged. now i took a stick and started pushing the ice down to no avail. then the crook on the stick i was using got stuck in the tank and it took me 15 minutes to get it out.

after about a hour we got all the ice in.

if it helped, i dont really know. but in this case, i am not sure if more is better.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote