Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Series 60 Engine Problem, Major, I think
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #19
Richard and Rhonda

Here is an update. The coach had to wait while we settled into our new digs in WV. Then there is this matter of a new job. And a some mountain biking exploration just for grins.

This weekend I started on the great engine spit and duct tape repair. No I don't know what is wrong yet.

A couple of weeks ago I disconnected the air discharge hose from the compressor just to make sure I didn't have a compressor gone bad. Nope, that wasn't it. Still bubbling the coolant like mad.

When I drained the oil yesterday, it looked like about half a gallon of coolant in the oil. This is not good.

As of tonight, all fluids are drained, the valve cover, jake brakes, and valve train is safely removed. All of the intake air ductwork, turbo, and exhaust manifold are removed. I spent one and half hours removing one bolt on the turbo oil drain. Go figure. The exhaust manifold bolts, which I expected to be bears, came right out with the small impact wrench.

I now have to make a plate to fasten to the crankshaft so I can bar (turn) the engine. I stopped here since I need to line up the timing marks before I remove the camshaft.

The camshaft bearings looked good. No signs of scarring or scuffing from the coolant in the oil. I may get lucky on the mains, only time will tell.

I will say that everything on the Detroit is heavy duty, and heavy too. It is interesting working through the bedroom floor on something that is about 12 inches below grade. Also I discoved a bonus of working on the engine both from the back and through the floor, no matter what tool you need, it's in the other place.

I hope the failure is evident once I get the head off. If not this could turn into quite the treasure hunt.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote